Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Marriage: Between a Man and a Woman


I don't usually like to post about politics, but I am glad Proposition 8 passed in California. There has been so much controversial conversation going on about this, both with members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and nonmembers, and I wanted to clarify for anyone out there that is confused about the Church's stance on same-gender attraction. This article states exactly where the Church stands, and I stand by it 100%. The issue isn't about gay rights, it is about protecting the sacred institution of marriage between a man and a woman.

This quote comes from an article published today by the church news and gives an accurate description of the true stand on the issue:

"Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches."

6 comments:

Dayna said...

TRUE THAT :)

Sydna Graf said...

I liked the link to the interview with Pres. Oakes. They asked and answered the tough questions--long article, but good.

Alene said...

Amen! Thanks Angie for your thoughts and the links!

Sharla said...

Way to go Angie!! This is so well put and so true. We need all the help we can get to spread the good word.
Love you!!

Dayna said...

I have to tell you, I loved your post so much that I practically copied and pasted it to one of my friends from high school who came out of the closet in college and has been writing me constantly about this issue. I thought this sums everything up pretty well. Thanks!

Megan Cahoon said...

I am so proud of you for posting that that's awesome! Thanks for standing up for what you believe in!! I love ya angie! Megan