Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...


We put up our tree this week and it's quite festive. There's nothing like turning on the Christmas tree lights, curling up with a cup of peppermint hot cocoa and... studying for finals. :) I can't wait for that last part to be done, which it will be in about a week. Then it's on to enjoy the Christmas season with not a care in the world. We're excited to have some time to spend with each other and with family and to enjoy the spirit of the season.

About this time last year my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It was a difficult time for me and my family, to say the least. But through the darkness and fear came light and hope. We found it in the true spirit of Christmas, the kind that comes from the love of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for Him. I have seen His miracles in the lives of those close to me, especially over the past year. I will never forget one December evening just after my mom's first chemotherapy treatments, when my family answered the door to find the entire ward (and then some) on our front lawn, singing Christmas carols. I felt such overwhelming love from these surprise carolers for my family. Their love communicated to us the love and hope of the Savior. His image truly was 'engraven upon their countenances'. It was so touching, and with tears and smiles and "thank-yous" we tried to express our gratitude. So many people showed Christlike love through our time of trial, and so many times we saw how people in tune with the Spirit became an answer to our prayers. Thank you to all who offered help and prayers in our behalf, I now know how real it is that you can feel the prayers of others giving you strength.

Here we are a year later and all is well. Thankfully my mom will be around for many more Christmases to come. I hope to always keep the Christmas spirit, Christ's spirit, with me during this season and through the year. I hope I can be someone's Christmas miracle or an answer to prayer. This Christmas season, spread the Savior's love. Seek out those who are in a time of darkness, and let in the Light.

6 comments:

Whitney Bennett said...

This post was so touching. It brings me so much joy to know everything is well with your mom. It must have been a tough Christmas last year! I hope all is well!

Caitlin said...

it seems like yesterday ang! but then again SO much has happened, began, and ended throughout this year for your family...and thankfully it has "ended" in a way and a new chapter has begun!! its a beautiful thing and this post was beautiful! i love you ang...you've always been special to me and thank you for the reminder:) This christmas will be very different for my family...but how grateful i am for them, for their health, and for their neverending love and loyalty for me and for the savior! MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS! I LOVE YOU ANGIE!

Dayna said...

Angie, this post was so moving. You are a blessed with the ability to write in a way that touches the hearts of others. I loved reading that post. Thank you!

Sharla said...

I love you sis! thanks for all the love and support. I am so blessed to have you as my daughter!

Lindsay Henderson said...

Ang, I just love you! You're such a great friend and a kind spirit! I couldn't agree with you more. This Christmas we're so thankful just to have our family together and well. This Holiday season is the most challenging, but it makes us more greatful for what we have in life, family, friends and our Savior. Thanks for posting such a great comment, I love ya sister and Merry Christmas. Ps, make sure your dad plays Elf in the office:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Ang, you're such a good writer:) I love the way you put things, thanks for this post! It reminded me of a lot of things and what is really important. It's crazy how easy it is to forget things that are this.. life changing so quickly, you know? Anyway, i'm proud to be your little brother:) And nice camera work taking a picture of that tree there;) maybe i'll bring you a stuffed animal murder scene again sometime...