Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Smoke...


We left our apartment tonight to take Justin birthday treats and returned ten minutes later to find three cop cars, an ambulance and a fire truck outside our apartment building. Huh? How did they all get there so fast? Anyway, apparently smoke was coming out of our neighbor's vents. This was about an hour ago and nothing has happened so we're assuming the building isn't burning down. There were firemen totally suited up, though, which was cool:




This experience caused us to take mental inventory of the things in our apartment and decide what we would grab if the building actually was burning down. Turned out to be mostly technology-related stuff: computers, the external hard drive, the Playstation, the TV... and some clothes. Oh and our wedding album. Call us vain but we decided to grab the things of most monetary value. (And isn't it great that with technology all your music/pictures/movies can be stored on one little portable device?) I'm sure our list of things to grab in a fire would've been quite different 50 years ago.

It made me realize that if there really had been a fire, we had never talked about what to do in the event of an emergency. I'm thinking a Family Home Evening is in order to discuss such things. Be prepared!

7 comments:

Sharla said...

Yikes! After being married for 26 years, emergencies can be very complicated. We have discussed what we would grab, and it is overwhelming. We need to put everything on the computer, even pics of important documents. Think of loosing all of that stuff!

Sheralee said...

this post made me laugh :) I love that you took all those pictures. My favorite family home evenings when I was little were our emergency preparedness ones! I especially loved jumping out the window when we had a "fire". You should definitely practice that. :)

Angie said...

ooh, good idea mom. I should scan in all our important documents. thanks for the idea!

Mills Family said...

oh Ang, that's CRAZY!! Scary!!! I sometimes think of fire in our townhouse..or a townhouse near ours...and I wonder what I would grab. I've even thought of putting the "most important" things all in the same area so they would be easier to grab in a hurry! But, I never get it all prepared and organized to do it that way. I am totally gonna do the FHE idea though! Thanks for the tip! love ya, Lis

Dayna said...

Crazy!!! Glad nothing serious happened. A fire would not be fun. I dont even know what I would grab- probably something we should discuss- good tip!

Alene said...

Angie! Thank you for posting that! We spent about 10 minutes in our presidency meeting talking about all the emergency vehicles we had seen and wondering if everyone was ok since we hadn't heard what happened. That's such a good idea to talk about things to grab. We haven't ever done that and it's so important.

Emily said...

oh my gosh! our old building! glad everything was ok. You just never know. good reminder to be prepared!