Thursday, April 30, 2009

i'm definitely not from around here

I just got back from the grocery store. I walked 1 mile total and passed hundreds of people, and six of them were white. None of them were even close to blonde. I was wearing a skirt with lace and my gold shoes, and I felt completely ridiculous. It was kind of terrifying. I stick out like a sore thumb in Harlem.

I wonder if this is how black people in Provo feel...?

But seriously, I'm learning things about myself here. I'm doing things I never would have thought I could do. I'm a stronger, more independent person than I thought. And I'm sure I'll get used to this and it will seem normal in a while. For now it is very different and kind of scary! I've never felt so out of place in my life! I just thought I would share since I'm kind of proud of myself for making the scary trip to the grocery store on Malcolm X Blvd. :) Thank you.

8 comments:

emily said...

You'll get lots of cat calls! Just don't answer them, they might follow you home. Otherwise, it's a nice self esteem boost! I hope you went to Fine Fair or something else on Malcolm X and not the lame one by our house (Shop Fair? Shop something? I can never remember.)

Angie said...

haha, it was Fine Fair, in fact! Good call! Marci told me to go there. I feel like I need a buddy though, maybe I'll be more planned out and only go shopping on Saturdays with my husband.

kaylie jean. said...

Loooove the new layout. :)

Lindsay said...

Hilarious! I think we are all in the same boat!!!

Liz & Zac said...

My favorite part was that you were counting! You will become more and more comfortable with time. Its just going to be the best experience for you guys! soak it up!

Amie said...

Angie,

I went through the same thing when we first moved to DC. At some grocery stores I wondered if I really wasn't supposed to be there. i felt so out of place at first. After a while I started to not even notice. I felt like we moved to another country!! I also did things I didn't think I could do before. Like ride the metro by myself with a one year old. I actually miss those days. You will love your experience and I am sure you already are. Have fun!!!!

Mills Family said...

Hi Ang! Hey, I've been at womens conference with Kimmi, Alisha, and our friend Laurel for the past few days and so I've missed checking in on your blog. hey, I love your posts. The pics above about you meeting Klane for lunch at crazy fun new places...and trucks parked on the street! So fun! I have always wondered if I could do what you are doing. I love you being so open about how you are feeling...even that you are feeling a little scared. I think I would like your experience and I would also feel a little scared...as well as proud of feeling strong and indenpendant! I'll pray for a friend to come your way! Love ya Ang!

k. said...

I love New York because of the diversity. It's representative of the WORLD, and I think that is so great. And you look like a natural, but it was sort of refreshing coming here from Provo - land of bottled Utah blondes. :) You'll grow more and more comfortable (and more and more confident/assertive/comfortable in your own skin), and I'm sure you'll love S. Harlem along with the rest of our city.