Wednesday, October 14, 2009

random things happen in this city

On my walk down Park to meet Klane for lunch, I saw these cops on horses. I'm sure there's an official name for the cops on horses. I don't know what it is. ("Mounties".......?) I love horses. So of course I chased them and took pictures:




Last week I was in the middle of a text conversation and so was on my phone plunking away outside the subway station, waiting to go in when finished. I was on 47th (the diamond district). Totally absorbed in my conversation, I didn't notice the large crowd forming around me, trying to see inside the corner diamond shop. A lady sidled over and asked me what all the commotion was about, and I looked up and noticed the commotion. Then the crowd parted and two huge black guys (body guards) came through, making way for a shorter black dude that was shouting all sorts of trash talk at the crowd ("I'm the best in the world! I'm NUMBA ONE!" etc), followed by two more huge body guards. They literally brushed past me, to get in their black escalade-type-vehicle which was parked right next to me (who knew). All along I am plunking away on my phone, deep in text-conversation. After they left I heard people saying the guy was a really famous fighter. I can't remember his name, or I might be able to impress someone. I didn't recognize him, but he sure caused a stir. Let's say he was super famous. How about Mike Tyson? Just kidding, it wasn't Mike Tyson. I do know what he looks like.

Klane and I eat lunch in the shadow of these giant Hello Kitty statues every day. It was weird at first and now we hardly notice. I still have no idea why they're there. But there are always tourists taking photos with them. Here is one such tourist. He was happily hugging the giant beast. We stared at him while slowly chewing our pbj's and bananas.



On the same lunch hour, I witnessed two guys dressed as Elvis driving bicycle cart-taxis around, and also an automobile that looked just like a woman's shoe. Luckily someone else also saw it and captured the shoe. Thank goodness for Twitter or I would've had no proof and you might not have believed me. Plus it is just way better in real life than anything you could've imagined. Right?



And finally, yesterday I left work and while waiting on a street corner, I heard a voice being projected over a speaker system, and looked across the street to see a large crowd of people gathered. There was a lady in a white room doing a monologue from behind the glass, but her voice was being broadcast outside. She was very dramatic. I don't know why this was happening. I had to get home and eat something, so I did not stay to find out. But watch this video and see it for yourself.



Hopefully the rest of this week I have awesome pictures and many fun events to share, as my parents and little bro Brandon are coming to visit! We are VERY excited. They arrive early tomorrow morning. I can hardly wait!!! I'm taking Friday off work and we are going to par-tay. So thrilled.

11 comments:

Abbie said...

I LOVE this city!! It's so crazy cool.

Abbie said...

hahaha. and I also love the look you gave the camera. oh, Angie, you make me laugh!

Sharla said...

Only in New York City! Oh enjoy every weird, wild, crazy, and amazing site you encounter, because someday you will back to the quiet and much more ordinary lifestyle. Do you still sit back and wonder how you ended up in NYC. I used to think that sometimes as we moved around for School and Residency. Such unique experiences that we learned so much from.

Halfords said...

That lady was so funny. Weird. Can you imagine what people would think if someone did that in the orem mall. Ha ha.

Lindsay said...

According to the urban dictionary those cops are called: equestricop.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a dream I would have. Actually, I probably have dreamed these things. You are so good at documenting things; I need to be better at that.

Morgan said...

My oh my. Only in New York. When I lived there, every day I'd see things that would make me say to myself, You must be dreaming, Morgan. You must be, because things like this do not happen in real life. Wrong. Anything can happen in New York City. That's why I love it, though. You never know what's coming next! Thanks for sharing your crazy experiences.

And how exciting that your family's coming!!! That makes me happy:) Do I even need to tell you to have fun? You will. I know it. Can't wait to hear about their visit!

Mills Family said...

Oh my gosh...Ang! Thanks!! This is totally one of my favorite posts of yours! It's so random... and so New York (like I'd know!..LOL!). But, it seriously gives us all a bit of insight to what your average walk in the city is like. Crazy!!! Cedar is so different than that!...Oh, I'm totally gonna to a day in the town of Cedar for you on my blog ok!!! haha!!

Mills Family said...

Hey, Ang, i keep forgetting to ask you....Sharla told me that you can see who is looking at your blog. How do you do that? What is the feature that I need to add to be able to do that ?

Katherine said...

Never a dull moment in NYC! That's one reason I love it so much. Expect the unexpected.

That shoe-car is so cool! (Although it's got some serious blind spots...)

Have a BLAST with your family!! Enjoy the love. Can't wait to hear about all your fun adventures!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

That red stiletto car is fabulous. I bet you could write a post about random things in the city just about every day haha. And how fun to have your family in town for the weekend! I'm sure you'll all have a blast--can't wait to see the pictures from it :-) Hooray for UEA!