Sunday, October 4, 2009

weekend review

We've had such a nice, relaxing weekend. General Conference was so full of encouraging words and inspired counsel from our church leaders. I noticed a lot of talks centered on love. I especially loved what President Thomas S. Monson said about Christlike love and service toward others, and David A. Bednar's words about consistency in living the gospel daily.

Jeffrey R. Holland's powerful testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon really struck me. I wished everyone in the world was listening at that moment. He left no room for doubt. I also know it is true. Just like he said, it can't not be true. People don't sacrifice their lives and so much more for something they made up.


We loved being able to watch via the Internet, sitting on our new couch in our newly made-over apartment. It's so much more comfortable in here now that we've made it ours.

Other weekend highlights included:

Catching up on precious sleep, hopefully not too much during sessions of conference.

Wandering through SoHo and Little Italy looking for a restaurant, and finding a great Malaysian place. While we enjoyed our unique and delicious meal, we talked about how we love living in a city with such diversity.







If you're familiar with Brian Regan, you'll find this as funny as we do. If you're not familiar with Brian Regan, you should go check him out on youtube because he's hilarious.

A birthday celebration for Todd, complete with cake and ice cream, and watching Todd open the most hilarious and awesome gift: surprise trapeze lessons. Good call Casey!

A Walmart + Ikea excursion to New Jersey on Saturday with Abbie and her kids. It was a ton of fun; riding in a real live car (haven't done that in three months), negotiating driving directions on the phones, taking a few wrong turns and subsequently laughing a lot, talking, playing with the kids, and shopping. Plus I was able to stock up on cheap groceries and get some more things to finish the apartment. It was so fun!

While I was gone Klane went with his home teaching companion, Lawrence, to help him pick up some groceries.

A pre-Conference potluck brunch at the White's with some families in their ward. Oh, the magical things that happen when a bunch of Mormons combine their cooking skills. So much delicious food! And we had a great time getting to know some new friends.

We had Barbacoa Pork (Cafe Rio style) to celebrate our recent purchase of a slow cooker. Recipe posted here.

Klane and Lawrence's home teaching family invited us over for Sunday dinner tonight, complete with my very favorite dessert, homemade apple pie. I think they were inspired. Must have been an added measure of the spirit from conference. ;)

7 comments:

Lindsay Henderson said...

Ahh, how bad I wish I were there with you guys experiencing the New York people and great food, how fun! Glad you and Klane had a great day today, don't you feel so great after conference. We went to my grandma's house for the 2nd session and her and I finished a 500 count puzzle, hilarious huh?!

Abbie said...

I was just working on my weekend review.

I know, Elder Hollands talk was amazing! I only got to hear 3 full talks and snippets from some others (those babies get a little crazy), and that was one of them - so so good!

Thanks again for coming! It was so fun to see you. AND thanks for coming shopping with me. I would have been a sobbing mess if you weren't with me.

Halfords said...

I too loved Elder Holland's talk. I thought it was so powerful and really struck me. There were so many other talks too. I hate to see conference end.

Sharla said...

What a busy weekend you had with lots of food friends and mostly great Conference Talks. Now we only have to wait 6 more months until the next one. Thank Goodness we will get the Ensign so we can experiene it all over again.

Ryan and Donna said...

I love the Mormon community in place for any member of the church ANYWHERE in the world. It was always great fun to get together with the local saints in New England during conference weekends. We would all have huge potluck dinners, b-ball in the Cultural Hall in between sessions on Saturday and great conversations. Love the Church!

Sharla said...

The Church is True!

Katherine said...

What an incredible, uplifting, fun and fulfilling weekend-- wow!