Saturday, October 3, 2009

the way we do it in manhattan

There are many things we do differently here than we did in Utah. Buying a couch is no exception. None of this "buy a couch, put it in your truck and take it home" business. No, we bought a couch in a box!

We ordered our couch online from Home Reserve, the perfect solution for tiny-apartment-dwellers like ourselves. The couch is mailed in two 50 pound boxes, and you assemble it yourself! So much easier than hauling full sized furniture up stairwells.



My wonderful husband hauled both boxes from the UPS store to our apt, six blocks and two flights of stairs, for which I am eternally grateful. He is also pretty good with a power drill, which is kinda hot.




Home Reserve was awesome. The couch was so easy to assemble; all the pieces are numbered. And they even give you these nice gloves so you don't get splinters in your hands!




Put together the frame, add the fabric covering, and voila!



A couch! And don't worry, despite the fact that it's made out of particle board, it is actually sturdy. And an added bonus: it has storage compartments under the cushions! Perfect for our small space. We are loving having our apartment come together. It feels so much more comfortable now. I'm so excited for it to be complete so I can take pictures and post them.

Speaking of our little apartment, I have a funny story. We always thought it was 450 square feet because thats what the previous residents always said. But when we measured the walls to calculate how much paint to buy, we made a shocking discovery! Our apartment is actually closer to 325 square feet!!! When Klane told me, for a moment I felt like the walls were closing in on me. "Oh my gosh, this apartment is so small! How can we live here?!" But then I realized we've loved it for months thinking it was 450, and it's actually still the same size (even though my perception has changed). So all is well. Kind of a funny realization though.

15 comments:

Dayna said...

i didn't even know you could buy furniture that way- cool!! and those cupcakes look and sound AMAZING. i may just have to find a reason- or no reason- to whip those up here real real soon.

Lindsay Henderson said...

That is so stinkin hilarious, it looks great. It works for a date night in too huh? Order a pizza and assemble a new piece of furniture for your house! What a hoot! Love Ya!

Jennifer said...

I bet it's exciting getting more settled into the apartment. That furniture website may come in handy for me when I graduate ;)

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

We were in a little 400 sq. ft studio apartment in Alabama for a month and a half, and I actually liked it! All you really need for two people and SO much less to clean. But it definitely has its storage problems and I'm WAY impressed with how you two are making it work! That couch looks great & I'm sure those compartments will come in handy.

PS-thanks for all of your sweet comments about our wedding! Wish you & Klane could have been there. Guess we'll just have to visit you again soon to fill the void :-)

Abbie said...

325! AHHHH! Just come over when you feel like you're getting hugged to death by your walls. I love the couch.

PS-I made the banana bread - so so so good! Thank you!

Casey said...

Yay!!!! Now we can play at YOUR house! haha. Just kidding. But I can't wait to see it.

Sharla said...

I can't wait to sit on the couch and sleep on the blow up bed. I am so excited I can hardly stand myself. It was so great doing the video chat tonight, and seeing all the new paint and fun decorating you are doing. Wow! It really is so much better and looks more like you and your Sweetheart. Loved the post and the step by step coming together of your couch. Love how well you are adapting to City dwelling and mostly all the good you are doing there. You two are Awesome!

Ashleigh said...

That is so cool! I love couch and how practical it is. We lived in a tiny apartment at BYU that was about that size. It's crazy to think about now, but it was so easy to clean!

Sydna Graf said...

I like smaller spaces. It gives you a good excuse not to have so much stuff. I am impressed that the not so cute wood frame turned into such a great looking couch. Can't wait until you post all of your new decorating. By the way, Pioneer Woman is coming to SLC for her book tour for her new cook book. I'm excited to meet her. I hope she's as great in person as she seems on her blog.

Katherine said...

Wow. 325 sq. feet. That is COZY! Love your new little sofa-- it looks so NYC with the exposed brick wall and wood floors.

You guys are definitely becoming expert big city dwellers!

Mills Family said...

"TINY APARTMENT DWELLERS"!!! I am still giggling! I love it! Maybe I'm just too sleepy today, gut That is the funniest thing I've heard in like a month!! I love my tiny-apartment-dweller neice/nephew!! haha!! Ok, on to business....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new couch!!! Perfect!!!

Morgan said...

That is just amazing. Really. Amazing! It really does look so easy and it's ADORABLE, too. I always thought that easy wasn't supposed to be cute. Well look at that. You've proven me wrong! I cannot wait to see your apartment once it's all finished. I'm getting the feeling that it's going to be fabulous!

Dayna said...

question for ya- do our cameras have a self timer option?? if so, how do ya set it up?

emily kate said...

We looked into getting a couch from them when we moved but I was scared since we didn't get a chance to sit on it first. But it looks like it's awesome! Perfect for the small space. Btw, if your apt. is actually less than 450, I think that means ours was too. We never measured, haha! Oh and Rodney Smith! Love him. What a cool experience! Things like that are what I miss about NY...you get such amazing opportunities!

Bryan, Taylor and Aspen said...

How funny are you guys! Love the little couch and I'm glad you are making the place work. It looks great from what I can see. Sweet brick walls! Can't wait to see the finished product.