Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010 Family Theme

Klane's inspiring aunt Annie shared a great idea on her blog. Inspired by other blogs (like this, this and this), she is choosing one word to be her motto for the year. I think this is such a great idea and a simple way to set goals and improve. So Klane and I chose a word to be the Harding Family motto in 2010, something to guide us to strive to become better, something to center our goals around.



Harding Family 2010 Motto:
HAPPINESS


I like it. I wrote it on the chalkboard wall so I'll see it every time I leave or return home. I have a huge tendency to focus on the negative, to dwell on negative thoughts, to complain, and to generally not be happy. Constantly striving for positivity and happiness is going to be a great goal for this year.

We also chose this theme because striving for greater happiness leads us to do good things. Serving others, daily scripture study and prayer, magnifying our callings, strengthening our marriage, all of these goals will ultimately bring greater happiness into our lives and the lives of others. And the whole purpose of our lives here on earth is ultimately to gain happiness. After all,

"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
2 Nephi 2:25


In our old apartment we had a framed quote from President Hinckley, which I've always loved. It's right along the same lines.

"In all living, have much fun and laughter.
Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."


So, here's to happiness! I'm excited to take on a new year with this theme in mind. 2010 is bound to be a year full of new adventures and lots of love and happiness.

16 comments:

Christine said...

i love that quote from president hinckley. i have it in my home, too.

:)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Angie, this is such a good idea! I have been striving to learn more about how to be happy constantly myself. Going to the temple recently has helped me understand even more how much we are supposed to be happy in this life, and how much we have to look forward to even more eternal happiness.

hilary w said...

What a great family theme! Nice and short and sweet...easy to remember! Happiness is so all-encompassing, too. Good choice!

Abbie said...

I love it! Love it love it! Here's to an amazing year of happiness in NYC!

P.S. you may have the tendency to focus on the negative, but I have never noticed. You always seem really happy to me. Or is it just because I make you so happy - kidding:).

Lindsay said...

What a great idea! I am totally obsessed with the word "happiness" and that is my favorite scripture. 2010 is going to be a GREAT year.

Mills Family said...

Oh, Ang! Ditto! I too have already done that, Jay and I want to make our house a "home"....not just a "dwelling". We want happiness in our home. I too relate to too easliy focussing on the negative and dwelling on negative thoughts. These thoughts are there to discourage us huh. They totally do just that! I'm so grateful for you to posting this. You are amazing Ang! Good luck in your awesome adventure this year in your search for a deeper happiness!! You'll find it!! Heavenly Father is so quick to help us in accomplishing the things that are His will for us!!

Unknown said...

Good choice.

Morgan said...

I LOVE that idea of a one-word motto. I'm pretty sure that I would have chosen your exact same one. That is one of my many goals for 2010- to be happier:)

Katherine said...

Such nice and encouraging comments! All I can say is that your blog makes me happy and I think you have a gift for spreading happiness. So there!!

Calee said...

Amen to all of the above! I am always inspired to try a little bit harder after reading your blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sharla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharla said...

Love Happiness and it is a choice, so lets choose it each and every day!! I am all about that theme!

Yelena said...

i love this idea! :)
happiness is my word too! i can be such a negative person, hope to improve that! :)

Halfords said...

What a wonderful idea. I am going to copy you if you don't mind and set a theme for our family!

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a great word to choose! I am excited to see where our 2010 words take us :) !!

Raquel said...

Don't worry I understand the spellcheck issue. My phone has made me "say" some crazy things lol. But thank you so much for responding. Yes, we're going skiing in both Snowbird and Park City Resort, I believe. I'm going to really try to make it to Sweet Home Chicago. & ice climbing sounds nuts! I'd love to see that. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes!