Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I DID IT!!!!!!

Remember my Tuesday job?

The one at the office where I had my very first interview in the city?

The one that seemed really nice, then as soon as I got hired, started going downhill?

The one I've wanted to quit since the first month I started, but I thought I should be positive and stick it out?

Well, I gave it a fair shot. I gave it over five months. I think that is plenty of time. But it wasn't really getting better. I still felt the anxiety start creeping in on Sunday afternoons knowing Tuesday was coming. I still woke up at 3:00 am every Tuesday morning and couldn't sleep. I still had to hold my tongue and respond sweetly when coworkers were downright rude.

In accordance with this year's theme of HAPPINESS, I decided that I don't have to put myself through this anymore.

Tonight, I finally got up the courage to quit.

And I feel SO GOOD!!! I was so pumped when I walked out of the office that I ran up 3rd Avenue in my dress clothes for a block and a half, just to get out some of my excitement. I even jumped around a little bit. I feel like I've turned a page. Now I'll have a free day every week to do whatever I want! (Explore the city? Play with friends? Be a better wife? Yes, yes, yes!) I'm so excited!! FREEDOM!

21 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congrats! That is super exciting! I think we should all have one day a week all to ourselves! You definitely made the right decision!

Sharla said...

I am so Happy!! I Love you and think this is what will make the difference in the I love New York happiness theme!

rubi said...

yaaaay!
i'm so glad you did it.
i love that your ran up 3rd because you were so happy.
haha

Anonymous said...

YES!!! That is the best feeling in the world! I feel elated for you. Do whatever you want!

Sara said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOOO!
we are celebrating for you right now with peanut butter ice cream.
here's to happiness :)
love you ang!!

Ashleigh said...

Good for you! That is great! Unnecessary anxiety does not need to occur in our lives! Here's to happiness!

emily kate said...

Good for you!! I think you absolutely did the right thing. Life is too short to be miserable. And I think having a free day is awesome. You gotta take advantage of living in the city. My friends and I used to pick some part of the city we hadn't really been to and go explore once a week. Very fun!

Halfords said...

What a good choice Angie! You'll be much happier!

Abbie said...

I call dibs on your first Tuesday off!

YAYAYAYYAYAYAY!!! This is so so great!! Here's to happiness in NY!

Katherine said...

CLEARLY the right decision!!!!!!! I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

You know it's time to move on and "detoxify" when something is routinely filling you with dread and anxiety a couple of days ahead of time AND causing you to lose precious sleep. Who needs that?? Do let us know how you spend your first "Terrific Tuesday" please!

Robert and Lindsay said...

Angie- We are on the SAME wave length ... if you know what i mean... shhhhh.. and let me know if you hear of any job openings :)

Lynsie said...

Yippi! I'm thrilled to hear it! Congrats! We love ya!

Mills Family said...

Wahooooo!!! Yeah!!! Ang, I'm soooo excited right along with you!! Hey, you are so brave! I love that you took courage to quit...took charge of your own happiness to get rid of something so negative in your life....and took some time for yourself to "be" and "feel" and "play!" each week! You will be happier doing this for sure! I can't wait to see what some of your TUESDAY "happiness" days bring you!!!!!!!

Sheralee said...

Yay for no miserable job!!! I so wish I had been on 3rd Avenue! :)

Miralva & Mason said...

O Angie I'm so happy for you! Sometimes I wish i could do the same with mine. I'm so glad you have a free day. Have fun!

Morgan said...

YAY!!!!! This makes me very happy:) I was wondering just the other day about whether or not you'd quit. I remember how awful you'd said it was. Five months was more than enough time. I'm glad that you followed your heart and did what you knew was best for you. Now you're free at last!!! You've got your life back! Very exciting.

I will surely let you know the next time that I'm in New York because I really, really do want to meet you. I think I might be coming in May. I'll let you know!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

YEEEESSS!!! I KNOW THIS FEELING AND IT FEELS SOOO GOOD!!!

So happy for you!

amanda said...

yyyyyyyyyyyyyeah girl! that is so happy. Way to go, my friend. Hope you find yourself frolicking down those streets every tuesday from now on :) haha

Yelena said...

i am so proud of you! i know how you feel...its tough to do it, but you feel so much better afterwards! :) this is very exciting! :)

Sharla said...

I can do hard things just took on a new meaning!

hilary w said...

That is great news. The fact that you ran down the block to get out your happy energy after quitting shows what a good decision you made! You are right, you shouldn't have to do hard things if it isn't necessary! Congrats!