Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Day in the Life

I've posted so much less lately. I'm sorry. But it's because there's not a lot going on around here besides commuting and working to post about. We've become accustomed to life in New York, now it seems normal that we live here. But I realized that to a lot of you, riding the subway to work is not a regular occurrance. And so I took some pictures along the way today to show you what my day is like.

I wake up, get ready, and head to the subway. If I leave at 8:14 I can get a seat on the B train. If I leave at 8:16 I end up standing on a crowded C train, and I have to transfer at 59th Street. I try to catch the B.



I spend the day at work here:



I LOVE MY JOB. I love it. I. LOVE. IT. (Not Tuesday though.) I love working with kids. I love meeting all the interesting people that come in (even a few celebrities!). I love the people I work with. I love that I work in the same field as my dad. Today there were cupcakes to celebrate Kim and Lisa's birthdays. We sang. I chose chocolate with peanut butter frosting. I love my job.



I work in a nice neighborhood. Today I walked to a gourmet grocery store near my work to pick up some exotic ingredients that the Harlem stores don't carry, like.... canned enchilada sauce. I know. Africans aren't into mexican food, apparently.

I love the neighborhood. I love the buildings. So much character. So beautiful. I took some pictures on the walk.




who lives here? seriously! gorgeous!




(at this point I realized there was something smeared over the lens on my camera phone, cleaned it off, and the pictures became much clearer.)


lexington and 62nd street


fdny





lamp post



It gets dark around 4:45 this time of year. When I leave the office, the trees are lit up along Park Avenue. I hope they leave them all winter.



Back in the subway. More waiting for trains. I read a lot of blogs and books in the subway (perk of not being behind the wheel on my commute).



If I plan on cooking, I stop by the grocery store on the way home. It's usually quite crowded, or seems so because of how tiny it is. Two people can barely pass in the isles!


(there is no enchilada sauce here.)


You use a basket instead of a cart. you've got to carry all your goods home with you!

Then it's home to cook dinner. Sometimes I take pictures for the (neglected) food blog. We eat and chill out for the evening.



And the next day we do it all again! Woo hoo! Fun life! :) :) I really do love it. Even if it makes me so tired that all we do on the weekends is sit in bed with the computer for six hours on Saturday. Now you know what we're up to.

17 comments:

emily kate said...

We tried to find enchilada sauce in Harlem once too with no luck. We went to like 4 stores! I couldn't believe it! Especially because the store by our old place seemed like it would have Mexican food, but really the owners were Dominican. I always said you could get pretty much any type of authentic food in NYC except Mexican!

Abbie said...

And sometimes you go to WaHi to help your friend Abbie figure out how to work her camera. And watch AI and congratulate her son for making great progress in his attempts to becoming a big boy!

Thanks for coming! I really do feel more confident with it.

Excellent post. It's true. Things like riding the subway become so routine that you forget the excitement you felt the first few times you took it.

Ashleigh said...

Great pics! Those cupcakes look so yummy! Do you ever get scared riding the subway to and from work by yourself or are there just lots of people everywhere? I forgot to tell you that the Pioneer Woman cookbook has some recipes not found on her blog. Lots of pictures, and lots of her fun writing. It's worth owning I think!

Sharla said...

Guess What! Your life is far from ordinary so this post was just amazing and exciting and scary (as someone mentioned) and impressive! We could not be more proud of our kids in NYC. I just love reading about your adventures, and "every day life." You have really made it in New York! Thanks for letting us all tag along since our lives are truly ordinary. You have a following!

Sharla said...

oh and I can't believe you were taking all these pictures while talking to me on your other phone. You are ultra talented and a master at multi-tasking!

Sara said...

you are coming in march!?!?! :D YAYYYYYYYYY! i'm going to start planning now :)
oh and we made the cafe rio pork last night, so delicious. thank you thank you! (one from me, one from mike)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Yeah! More building pictures! I have an interview in your neck of the woods today. Kind of.

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for having the motivation to stop by the grocery store DAILY after work. That would be my death. I never thought about you neededing to carry all the food you buy. I want to know what celebrities have come into the ortho office!

PS Season 2 of AD is my favorite ;)

Katherine said...

I love your "Day in the Life of Angie" post! So creative. So pretty. So honest. Amazing photography-- even with your iPhone!

Angie, you MUST, must, must turn your NYC blog posts into a really cool picture book/coffee table book someday! I would buy one. Seriously.

hilary w said...

Thanks for sharing a day in the life of a New Yorker! I really loved seeing what you see every day. It's so different than my life!

Morgan said...

Could you please just post pictures of a day in your life every day? I'm miss New York (a lot) and this post just makes me feel like I'm there. I'm so glad that you shared a little glimpse into your life!

Many thanks to you for the very sweet comment that you left me yesterday. I am very grateful.

Angie said...

Ashleigh, it isn't scary riding the subway alone because there are SO. MANY. PEOPLE. It's very very crowded during rush hour commuting time. It's rare to be able to get a seat and usually you're squished between everybody else because the trains are stuffed to full capacity. I do get nervous riding alone late at night, when there's only a few people on the train. I try to avoid that. :)

Mallory, don't worry, I don't go to the store every day. (I also don't cook every day, oops!) But I definitely go to the store way more often here than I did back in Utah. There's no such thing as a weekly trip to the grocery store, unless you had a few people to help you carry it all home!

Mills Family said...

Ang! I've loved looking at this post a couple different times. It is just fun to see your every day commute. I just see your blog posts (including this one) and I always shake my head and think, "Wow! Ang is so very brave". It is fun to live through you over your blog. I feel Like I'm getting a bit of a new york experience through you! So fun!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Love the scenery on your commute--both above ground and below it :-) SO much better than the parking-lot-style-traffic kind that I'm considering making haha.

k. said...

Africans?! Of course! You're not in Utah. :) Oh Angie, you're so lucky to live in a place that is full of people from all over the world. Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, people from Europe, Asia... It's all so great & one of the bazillion reasons why I'm so grateful to live here. And Harlem has some really great Mexican grocery stores actually. One of my closest friends is Mexican & her mom comes to live with her every summer (she's from Mexico) & she always treks up to Harlem to buy ingredients for really authentic meals. I'll have to ask her where she goes so that I can send you in the right direction...

Angie said...

Just to clarify. I probably sounded ignorant saying "Africans" rather than "African-Americans". But you have to understand that right around where we live, there are actually a ton of Africans, not African-Americans. These people are first generation immigrants straight from Africa. They speak African languages that sound different than anything I've ever heard before. They wear brightly colored, traditional robes (for the men) or dresses (for the women), and many of the men wear turbans or caps. So yes, they really are Africans. And I love living in Harlem where there's such diversity. There are just inconveniences, like how you'd have to trek over to East Harlem (aka Spanish Harlem or El Barrio) to find certain foods, like canned green chiles or enchilada sauce.

Calee said...

I second the idea of turning your blog into a coffee-table book; I'll be in line to buy one! I love it!