Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stories from the Subway

I spend almost an hour down there every day. A lot goes on in the subway. Here are a few little moments.


One perk of working on a holiday like MLK day: Look how empty the train was in the morning! No problem getting a seat!


The other day on the way home (on another unusually empty train) I noticed this guy. He had flowers and a big bag of groceries and another little bag. I liked to imagine he was going home to make a romantic homemade dinner for his girl, and give her flowers and a gift to top it off. :)


On my way home today. Typical, semi-crowded train.


Looking out the subway car window, onto the platform at 59th St.


Almost every day on my way home, I happen to get on a train with the same conductor. You may ask, "But how can you possibly know it's the same person?" Actually, this guy has a very distinctive voice and way of announcing the stops. He kind of drags out the words, and his voice goes up and down. It is definitely the same guy. It's funny, but I've become so accustomed to his voice that I notice if it's not him when I get on my train home. It's become a part of my daily life to hear "my" conductor on the way home. It's almost comforting!

Today I took a video of one of the stops, so you can hear my conductor. We need to give him a name.

Aww, he's so cute.

But think about this for a second. B and D trains come by every 3 to 7 minutes during rush hour. That's a lot of trains! What are the odds that I would get the same conductor every day? I don't get to the platform at exactly the same time every evening. I like to think about where this guy starts out every evening, to put him at my platform at the right time every day. It's so cool that in a city of millions of people, you can cross paths with the same people multiple times. I wonder how often that happens with random people (you know, not MTA workers) and you never even realize it...


I like this picture. We're all in this together.

11 comments:

scott and linds said...

Good Ol New York! We're coming back in a week and half and I just remembered everything I hate about public transportation after reading this post... thanks! haha.. jk.. there are things that have happened to me on the subway that make for some of my greatest stories!

Good for you for quitting!! nothing is worth staying at if you are miserable.. especially when doing hygiene.. you'll get burnt out quick! Good for you!

Sharla said...

Oh I love you and you make me smile! Always!!

Lindsay said...

Ha ha, love this post. Brings me back to the hustle and bustle. I remember when I was there I kept seeing the same guy everywhere around NYC. It was so weird. Maybe I was supposed to talk to him...I guess I failed.

Katherine said...

I LOVE your expression at the end of that video! Priceless. That conductor's voice reminds me of one I always used to hear riding home from DC to Alexandria, VA-- it's a classic!

Great shot of the guy carrying flowers and his Whole Foods purchase. He looks like he's on an important mission! (And it's not even Valentine's Day yet...)

Are you looking for a name like Mickey, Marvin, George... or Conductor-Man, Subway Sam... or a rapper name like Lil (T)Wayne (as in "train") or Kool Moe?? You should check out some rap artist lists! You are bound to find one that suits your "personal" conductor perfectly. Just a thought.

Katherine said...

Or "Lil (D)Wayne" (for D train)...

Mills Family said...

:) I love your posts!
Ok, I can't think of a name for your conductor. If I left it up to Jayme...the name would be "Lenny". Trey would pick our cats name,"Tiger".

Raquel said...

The train rides are probably my favorite parts of my trips to NY. Plenty of characters. Cute end to the video ;)

Caitlin said...

Ang! I tried to comment on your last post but my comp had a brain fart or something...I'm so happy for you that you quit! every woman NEEDS a day to themselves! and your co-workers or your ex-co-workers can stick it where the sun don't shine baby! ha ha sorry...i'm a little emotional ha ha...i hate that i missed ya over x-mas break ang...but thank the heaven's above for blogs:) and for the internet! i sure do miss you and just think you're amazing...and it's so nice knowing that there's someone in a similar boat as me:) I'm so glad that you quit tho! That's going to make a world of difference! I'm doing school part time and that has helped me so much to keep me busy...oh my gosh this is so long i'm so sorry! love you xoxo cait

Abbie said...

Oh, Angie. I am crazy. I almost teared up with the post and with that last picture! Oh my! I am really feeling it today. We are in this together! This is an amazing place! It really is! I love it! And I love that you're here! And in case you don't know I'm adding a few more of these:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan said...

This post makes me so happy. I LOVE the subway. I love all of the interesting people. I've had that same "we're all in this together" feeling. It's the best. And I loved seeing familiar faces on the subway every morning. It really is so comforting. I used to think that it would be impossible to see the same stranger twice while living in NYC, but I learned that it is very possible. Once I saw someone on the subway in Manhattan and then weeks later I saw them once again, walking down the street in Brooklyn Heights. I've had so many experiences like that. It's kind of crazy. I guess they're all just little reminders that the world really is so small.

No need to worry. If I come, it won't be until sometime at the very end of the month, definitely not before the 24th. I'm really hoping that I can come. It would be SO exciting to get to meet you!

Miralva & Mason said...

I like that how "we are all in this together!" Hey! It reminds me of movies when something tragic happens and strangers help strangers. Kinda cool.