Tuesday, May 12, 2009

happy mothers day (a little late)

My mom is an amazing woman.
I'm copying a couple friends and making a little list of reasons why I love my mom.
Because she deserves to be honored.


1. She is absolutely beautiful and could pass as my sister, but has always lived by her favorite scripture: 1 Sam 16:7 "For man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." This woman has a heart of gold.
2. Her cheery voice on the phone was always sure to cheer me up when I called her almost every day after clinic feeling discouraged.
3. She didn't mind when I called her three or four times a day from New York. And we always had things to talk about.
4. During the past year I watched her conquer the most difficult trial of her life - fighting cancer - and she smiled the whole way. Even when her hair fell out. Even when she couldn't taste food and she felt sick. Even through four hour chemo treatments. She taught me so much through her example.
5. She is strong. She's stronger than probably she even thought. She is a survivor.



6. She sings all the time, and even though she usually doesn't know the words, she is great at making them up on the spot, and her lyrics are usually pretty fantastic.
7. When I was an awkward lanky teenager she never stopped telling me I was beautiful. She taught me to stand tall and be proud of who I was.
8. I learned about being healthy from her. She has such self mastery and takes great care of herself.
9. She's a great shopping buddy, and it's an added perk that we can share some clothes. (I'm taller.)
10. She can be anyone's friend, no matter their age or background. She has touched others' lives by her goodness and genuine friendship and love.

11. She is the one bringing someone just what they need at a difficult time, whether it be a note or a homemade treat or a flower or a listening ear.
12. She hears and listens to the Spirit.
13. She knows how to saddle a horse and herd cattle. She's got a sweet scar from driving a stick-shift truck while baling hay as a kid.
14. She got up early to fix my family a hot breakfast every morning of my 12+ years of education, and is still doing this for my brother at home.
15. She refuses to say the word "fart". My brothers and I tried for over an hour in the car once to get her to say it. Not a chance.



16. She is an awesome waterskier.
17. She makes the best, most beautiful sweet rolls you've ever seen. They are a work of art.
18. Many times she stayed up late with me listening to my woes about whatever drama was going on in my life at the time.
19. She is almost always happy. She smiles all the time.
20. She always comments on my blog.


21. She is a ton of fun. She dances and sings.
22. She camped out all night in 20 degree weather for Wicked tickets.
23. Through the years she has become more than just a parent, she has become a real friend.


I love you, mom.

10 comments:

Mills Family said...

Yes, Sharla is a good mom! You know you are very lucky! You will be an amazing mom too...because of your mom's example and your desire to follow it! We love you guys!

Yelena said...

i lovee that first photo of you and your mom. :)
and your mom sounds like a lovely person. and so strong. and a wonderful example to those around her! :) thanks for sharing. i enjoyed reading the list. :)

Sharla said...

Oh my goodness, just checking your latest blogging this morning and Wow! I just sat back and shed a tear while reading your lovely and very generous tribute. Thank you! It has been a wonderful life and just last night dad and I expressed gratitude for our beautiful family. How blessed we are!!

Sydna Graf said...

What a beautiful tribute and all very true!

Lindsay said...

You mom is awesome....

I am seriously so jealous of your blog. You have the MOST amazing pictures. You goal this summer is to teach me all your skills!

Hillary said...

Okay so I had tears in my eyes while reading this. Your mom really is wonderful, who doesn't love her?

Dayna said...

Your mom is a hottie!!!!!

Yelena said...

this is in responce to the comment you left on my post about my busines idea:
first of all thank you for the encouragement. and i see what you mean about not liking one of the pieces, or spending too much money. and i know shopping online isn't for everyone, but some people really don't like to shop and my idea was targeted more towards those people. thank you so much for the feedback! it was very helpful and brought up a few good points, so thank you! :)

Ross Co. said...

It's true, you're mom is amazing! It's impossible not to love Sharla :)

Jons and Celeste Leigh said...

What a nice tribute. Your mom is so cute, sweet, and wonderful!