Saturday, May 30, 2009

home is where your husband is

That's the great advice Klane's mom, Kaylene, gave me before I left Utah. I loved being there with family and friends and the mountains and everything familiar. I was having mixed feelings about leaving Utah: happy to be with Klane again, sad to leave "home". I cried when the plane flew over the mountains and I watched the valley fade into the distance. But the truth is that New York is home now, because we're living here for now. It was great to come home and be with Klane again. On the way home from the airport we barely noticed the people on the crowded bus, we were so absorbed in our own conversation. I love this man. Home is wherever he is.

Today was busy but fun. We helped clean the church, opened an account at a bank here, shopped, ate Halal food from a cart on the street, saw Up, grocery shopped, made blueberry pancakes with buttermilk syrup for dinner, and climbed up to the roof to snap a few pics. Now on to catch up on the last few episodes of Lost!


Cute husband and me together again!
(It's ok that I accidentally focused on our necks instead of our faces.)


Down toward the park and midtown


Looking up at the huge Cathedral of St John the Divine



My happy feet in their new shoes on the fire escape.

A few thoughts: Halal food is amazing. Lamb and rice with white sauce, or a lamb/chicken gyro with hot sauce and white sauce. Oh my goodness. Amazing. We asked what was in the white sauce and we remember him saying yogurt, mayo, cucumber, salt and pepper... we're not sure what else.

Forever 21 has to be the most frustrating store ever. I have had one successful experience there, the rest of the times I've just given up. Maybe I need to chill out and go with the flow instead of wishing for more organization in there.

I love Aldo. New absolute favorite shoe store ever. They actually carry my size. It's a miracle. Thanks Sara. You've changed my life. (I'm serious.)

Up was hilarious. Our favorite part: the talking dog. "I just met you, but I love you!"

I am scared for Monday when I have to be an adult and begin the job search. But I'm always scared of change, and things always turn out lots better than I thought. :) So here's to hoping everything will be great!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you got back safely.

I like forever 21 sometimes...I just hate how they totally doop all the guys and only give us one small corner. Like, come ON!

Good luck with the job search!

theRach said...

I'm happy you are with your hubby again -- that separation can be unbearable, can't it? Oh, and I looked at Aldo's website.....I think I'm a goner......

Ashleigh said...

I'll have to check out Aldo's. I HATE Forever 21. It is way too disorganized for me! I don't care how cheap their stuff is! haha. I am glad you are back with your hubby; that's where you belong! :)

Sara said...

no no you belong here with us! :) but i am glad you are back safe and you guys are together. LOVE the shoes. good pick. just wait until their winter boots come out. start saving up now :) come back and watch bachelorette with me!

Jons and Celeste Leigh said...

Aw, you guys are so cute. I bet its so good to be together again. You guys even match in your green shirts. How cute! I'm glad its starting to feel like home out there for you guys.

Amie said...

Angie,

You are so cute, I too have done that exact same cry on the airplane leaving Utah. I am glad you made it safe and have had a chance to cook already! Have fun this week and good luck on the job search!

JacPfef said...

im pretty sure the white sauce is tzatziki sauce - I have a recipe around here that rocks and is completely delicious. If I ever find it I'll send it over so you can try it out :)

Abbie said...

So true. Home is where your husband is for sure. (tell me this when I'm freaking out again.)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you guys--your own adventure. You give me courage because I'm scared to be away from "home" out in Ohio, but Jimmy and I will make a new home! And you are just so gorgeous. Love the pictures, as always.

PS I agree, Forever 21 makes me want to sit and cry--it could potentially be so great, but is so frustrating most of the time.

Dawson & Stacie + 4 little fellers said...

Ok so I just got back from seeing UP and my favorite was Doug the talking dog too. "I have a joke. Once there was a squirrel and he didn't store enough nuts for the winter and then he died-- it's funny because he died." haha
Glad to hear you made it back to NYC safely! I can't imagine leaving the good 'ol Utah mountains but I'm a wuss. I envy your adventures and the change will bring awesome opportunities. Love the photo's and writing as usual :)
Good luck with the job search!