Wednesday, August 19, 2009

culinary adventures in nyc






This is what happens when your strategically planned dinner falls through at the last minute when you find out your pita dough has to rise for two hours. Klane came home to find me sweating in our hot apartment, trying to do a million things at once, my hands covered in warm dough, just at the moment I discovered this fact. I was a little frustrated. He took one look at me and said, "This can wait. Let's go out." What a good husband. :) I love him.

Good thing we live in one of the most restaurant-concentrated cities in the world (I made that up, but it's probably true). We postponed said homemade dinner and walked down to 108th and Amsterdam to this little mexican place, Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana. It was the first mexican food we've had in the city and we really liked it.

However, we hit our restaurant budget about halfway through the month, so no more dinner mishaps. We'll see if we can cut back on the eating out.

While I'm on the subject, I have to tell you about Zoma. It's an Ethiopian restaurant a block down our street; we went there with Robby and Kelsey last weekend. It was such a cool experience! I wish I'd had a camera, but these pics from their website will have to do. Pretend those people are us.


They bring the food out on these giant plates (giant. they cover the whole table), and you share it and eat with your hands. No utensils, no individual plates. You use these crepe things to scoop and grab the food. You order things like Awaze Tibs, Gomen, and Kik Aletcha. It was so fun and the food was so tasty and different than anything we'd ever tried! It was the most unique dining experience I've ever had. Very cool.

7 comments:

Sydna Graf said...

Now I'll go and make my frozen enchilladas! :) Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found a good office to work in.

Calee said...

Hehe, did you ever see "Along Came Polly"? that's what I imagine when you say stuff like NO UTENSILS and NO INDIVIDUAL PLATES. Ben Stiller:)

Halfords said...

Aren't husbands great! Hey, I was wondering if you would let me buy one of those lighthouse pictures from you. I would love to put one in my house. Let me know.

Morgan said...

Aww that does sound like something that only a really good husband would do. That Ethiopian restaurant sounds incredible!

Sharla said...

So was the mexican food good? Your pitas looked amazing, so professional. I want to make some right now. They would be so good stuffed with lightly stir fried garden vegetables and some romano cheese. You know even some chicken thrown in there too. I am getting hungry!

The Graf Family said...

Angie, you so good making homemade dough for pitas...I wouldn't have even thought to do that. I just go to the store and pick up some pitas, ready to go. I love mexican food and that makes me wants some for lunch right now. Maybe Costa Vida for lunch...count down to cafe rio in Cedar. Yeah!!

Halfords said...

OKay, Angie. I love the first picture you have on your blog post. I also really like the one that shows a little bit of the bridge. It's like the 12th one down. Thanks!