Thursday, September 10, 2009

arlington and lincoln memorial


This was our cute hotel. It's in a "historic" old building, and we absolutely loved it. Quaint, within walking distance of the monuments, and free breakfast (with waffles!) every morning.

We spent our first evening in DC in our room eating Chinese takeout and watching BYU beat Oklahoma. (WOO HOO!!!! Go Cougars!!) It was so fun to relax and cheer loud and watch the game. Klane and I love football season and our team is looking awesome this year. Hopefully we're able to catch more BYU games this season, usually we don't miss one!

The next morning we headed out to Arlington National Cemetery. This was one of our favorite things. It's so impressive and was a perfect Sunday morning activity.



Saw the changing of the guards ceremony at the
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Very very cool!





This gorgeous amphitheater was behind the tomb.
It was beautiful; it reminded me of our temples.




The eternal flame at the Kennedy memorial


We walked across the bridge to the Lincoln Memorial to say hello to Abe. DC is quite deceiving; you can see the monuments and you think, "Oh, that's not far, let's just walk!" And a mile later you get there and realize how far it was. We did a ton of walking on this trip but I actually loved it.




Inside the memorial there are speeches from Lincoln engraved on the walls. It was really neat to read his words and reflect on what our nation became as a result of his influential ideas.

All the walking required rest stops at nice places, like the capitol or a bench outside a museum or the steps of the Lincoln Memorial! Nothing better than chilling out with my favorite person with a nice breeze on my face. It was great.


7 comments:

Sydna Graf said...

Looks like a great trip! A friend at my class reunion lives in DC. She says you can hit a traffic jam at 2:00 in the morning! She says the traffic is usually horrible, but you must have hit it at a good time.

Katherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine said...

Cool, cool photography! Don't be surprised if Washingtonian Magazine or The Washington Post should come calling for your talent!

I just love our National Memorials and Arlington National Cemetery... there is something so moving and sacred about those hallowed places. As always, you captured everything so beautifully. Thanks for sharing!

(BTW, if you and Klane are still on the East Coast during DC's cherry blossom season in the spring-- and it doesn't always coincide exactly with the National Cherry Blossom Festival-- you really must get down there to work your photographic magic!

Mills Family said...

Oh, I love this post! Did I mention that you are so gorgeous! You are also very photogenic! Ok, so, I want to take my little family on this trip! My boss went on this trip this past summer...and then my other boss just went on this trip too! I have hear the coolest stories about the changing of the guards. They are very professionl and serious abou this aren't they! My boss told me that a little girls (like 5 years old) dropped her sippy cup and went under the ropes to get it!...and the soldier immediately pointed his gun straight directly in her face and screamed at her, "DO NOT ENTER THIS HALLOWED SANCTUARY!!!!!!" and he kept yelling this at her until she scrambled out of there! Ok MAN! I think this girl will be SCARED for LIFE!!!!!!!!!! I need counseling...and I just heard the story "Second hand"!!! Crazy! I totally want to go!!!..but I will not be bringing a sippy cup with me!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

This is so great. Nate and I want to go to DC so bad but we've felt guilty leaving the cats at home over the weekend, haha. I think we're starting to feel antsy, though, so a trip will happen soon! And now I know what we should do!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous, we really want to make a D.C. trip! You guys will have to go again and meet us there because it's not far from us at all!

Kyle said...

I have written a comment three time and tried to change my ID, so here I go again and I will probably end up under Kyle's name. He was the last one on this thing. Loved your pics and you two are as cute as it gets. Thanks for letting us all go on your DC adventure via the blog! I love that place and good for you two for taking advantage of the East while you are there. Love ya!