Thursday, September 17, 2009

obama came to town

One morning last week as I approached my office, I noticed gates closing off Park Ave. Kind of normal, they do that from time to time to film movies and stuff around that neighborhood. Turned out this time, the Avenue was closed for 10 blocks, making a path for President Obama and his entourage to drive into the city. I guess they usually take this route, because everyone at work knew the routine.



Police officers and onlookers lined the streets. One officer came in to tell us not to let anyone in or out of the office. They are serious about this stuff! We gathered at the window and waited for the Big Moment. We watched for snipers on the roof tops... didn't see any. But we decided that's kind of the point. They totally could've been up there. :)




Finally after much anticipation and many security vehicles passing, the time came. A black limo drove by and Mr. President waved as he passed. (You can't see his hand in this photo, it's the black limo on the right though):



All that hoopla for about two seconds of excitement, and then it was over. At least it was an exciting start to the day!

6 comments:

Abbie said...

oh, that's fun.

tomorrow, baby!

Mills Family said...

Oh, that's pretty cool!... Except for the fact that I'm upset with Obama right now. 2 day's ago, Trey's school class tuned into Obama's speach on health or something. And now that Trey had a cold starting, he keeps giving me grief EVERY morning that he "can't go to school sick because President Obama said not to..." Uuuggghhh! My life is crazy enough each morning trying to get us all up, ready, and out the door! This Obama speach was no help or my morning drama with the kids!! Oh, I love 2nd graders! Trey is so cute! I'm glad you got cool pics of the big moment Ang! Thanks for sharing!..

Amanda and William said...

Hi Angie,
Your cousin Lauren Magleby told me to look you up- I am one of her friends who is also living in NYC with my husband. We should get together sometime! Give me a call when you get around to checking your blog comments!!
-Amanda Egan
347-891-1987

Dayna said...

that's exciting!

Morgan said...

How very exciting!!! That's one of those experiences that you'll surely never forget.

So I was kind of thinking about how excited I was about the film. I'm still excited. Oh yes, very excited. Well that's all that I told you. I really could have tried to be a bit more helpful, don't you think? Anyway, I would recommend the Nikon N55 (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-Camera-28-80mm-Zoom/dp/B00006I5JO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top). It's what I use and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure if you really plan on getting one now or if you're just considering getting one in the future. Either way, I thought that maybe it might help to hear what someone else thinks. Let me know if you ever have any questions:)

Anonymous said...

What? You mean there weren't thousands of screaming fans crawling on the hood of Obama's car? Juuuust kidding.
Actually, I'm curious to know more of what it's like when they film movies there. I've always wandered about that. So many movies are filmed there; how do they manage to shut things down all the time?
PS I'll meet you in PA--only 4 hours each way? Done and done. I know I keep saying this, but we really are wanting to make a trip to NYC first on our list when Jimmy has a break.