Saturday, September 12, 2009

there's no place like home

Isn't it funny how you don't appreciate what you have until you're away from it for a while? I was shocked by how much I missed New York and how ready I was to go back after our DC trip. The whole time we were gone, we talked about how different DC was from New York. It was quieter, less crowded, cleaner. But I found myself longing for the crowds, the graffiti, and yes even the crazy people and weird smells and noise. All of that is part of what gives this city so much character. NYC is definitely one-of-a-kind.

We got off the bus on 33rd Street at 10:00 pm on a Monday night, and the city was alive. The Empire State Building was lit up in red white and blue for the holiday. Taxis crowded the streets, honking and speeding by. People were everywhere, lighted ads flashed from the buildings, and noise and excitement was in the air. And I loved it! I was snapping pictures and saying to Klane, "Look at this place! It's so beautiful! It's so amazing! I love this city! Look at the taxi's! They're so beautiful! Look at the Empire State Building! Look how tall the buildings are! It's awesome!" Klane teasingly said, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" :)

We agreed that we love this city. We love that there is always something to do. We love that there is always a subway line close by (NOT true in DC). We love that you can always find a restaurant because they're everywhere (also not true in DC, in our experience). We rode the train home with happy faces. We didn't even mind the graffiti or the smell, or the trash. In fact, I think we even loved it a little.



5 comments:

Abbie said...

I love this post contrasting your DC posts. It's so true. I love this city. DC is clean, nice, and our capitol, but there is nothing like the character of New York.

PS - I know, can you believe the metro in DC? I was amazed. It will never in a million years be like that here.

Mills Family said...

Wow, Ang, you had me at hello!...Oops, I mean, You had me wanting to come and visit the city after reading this post!!!!! I'm all alive with excitement now! Wow, you have fallen in love...with the city it sounds like! Good for you! Hey, that reminds me of something I heard tonight at a fireside where Elder/apostle Cook and his wife were speaking to us at here in Cedar. Sister cook said, "enjoy your life NOW...where ever you are...whatever circunstance you find yourself in....enjoy the journey!!!!" Ang, you're doin it! Good for you!

Sharla said...

Don't you just love Lisa. She is such a sweetheart. Loved the NYC pictures. You really captured the City in this post. October can't come soon enough!

Katherine said...

I agree. As much as I love DC, there's no place like NYC...

Morgan said...

I know what you mean. All of the stinky, gross, nastiness of New York becomes strangely beautiful after a while. It just sort of grows on you. I'm not sure that I'll ever quite understand it. Getting away from the city is always a treat, but coming back is always even better. Or at least that's what I think.