Sunday, December 20, 2009

Central Park in White


Klane and I jumped out of bed bright and early this morning and put on our snow clothes. After last night's storm, we wanted to get back outside and capture some pictures of our first New York City snowfall. Stay inside on a beautiful morning like this?! Fahgetaboutit!! We headed for Central Park around 72nd street.

I think everyone and their dog was at the park this morning. No, literally. Every dog owner in New York was there, with their dog. There were dogs everywhere.



People in New York are crazy about their dogs. They pretend their dogs are their children. We laughed so much watching people with their dogs. Someone talking to a golden retriever like it's a person. ("Now, Charlie, you know better than to walk out on the ice. Come back here and play with your cousins." The 'cousins' being other random dogs of the same breed.) People dressing canines of all sizes in ridiculous sweaters, coats, and even boots. Taking pictures of their dogs playing in the snow. It was so funny.




But this post is not about crazy dog owners of Manhattan. It is about the beautiful snow that is covering our city today. I'm so glad we went out this morning and got to appreciate it before it got melted and shoveled and plowed into piles. This morning was pristine and perfect and beautiful. I LOVE New York in the snow. Enjoy some pictures!









I think he's pretty dang handsome. And that hat? Adorable.




This picture is dark but it's so that you can see the curvy lines in the frozen lake.



15 comments:

Lindsay said...

YEAH!!! I couldn't wait for these pictures!!! I love love love the bird pictures. Especially the red Cardinal. I love those birds, saw my first one ever in NYC this summer.

Tanner and Erin said...

Angie! I love your blog, all you pictures are awesome. I officially want to move to New York now!

Raquel said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures! I live in Miami and am totally jealous!

naomi megan. said...

Beautiful.

Jessica and Reece said...

Love it, love it, love it. There really is something magical about Central Park, isn't there? I'm trying to convince my husband to apply to NYU or Columbia for grad school because I miss the city so much!

Abbie said...

Are you kidding me? These are gorgeous. Maybe you should think about printing a snow calendar:). I would buy one. So so so beautiful! We're heading to midtown tomorrow to take the kids to see Santa at Macy's. Maybe we'll have to stop at CP too.

emily kate said...

Yay, I was hoping you'd post pictures of the snow! I'm pretty sure we never got that much snow last year. We're in Utah and it's not nearly that pretty right now. The snow is old and the air quality is terrible. Hoping to get some nice snow later this week to make it pretty around here!! Are you guys headed out to Utah soon?

Calee said...

I love them! My favorite is the red cardinal too.

Morgan said...

The dogs, and their owners (especially the owners) are so funny! I definitely noticed that very same thing about New Yorkers and their dogs. Have you seen anyone strolling their dogs around in a baby stroller? If not, you just wait.

I'm so jealous of all that beautiful snow! My brother's up there now and we've heard all about it. So crazy! I'm loving all of the pictures, as usual. Every single one is absolutely fantastic!

Sharla said...

Wow! This is what I was waiting for! Love the beautiful white snow and birds fluffing out their feathers! Oh my goodness this was just the perfect way to start out my day!!

Dayna said...

I love these photos!! And I also LOVE your adorable snow outfit (the jacket, the boots, everything). You look so cute. And the mustache... its gone!! i have to admit I like him better without it :) now if i can only get steve to shave his hairy face.....

rubi said...

your pictures are so pretty!
i love snow in new york.
it completely changes the city.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your BOOTS. I want. I love how they look against the sow. Thank you for putting up pictures of how beautiful the snow is before it gets mutilated by cars and people...it makes me hate the snow when it is just dirty and slows everything down. This is magical!

Katherine said...

Where oh where do I begin? These photos are HEAVENLY! I agree with Abbie-- you should print a NYC calendar! It could be of any or ALL seasons. Your photography really is THAT good.

I love your photos of the dogs frolicking in the snow! You are 100% correct. New Yorkers do treat their dogs like children. It is hilarious! The most "human" dog I ever met was the "child" of a woman walking her dog right near Tavern on the Green on a lovely fall day. I actually stopped her and got acquainted with her "little one." Good times.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this post (or a lot more, now that I think of it...I think it's because google reader makes you have to click extra to make comments, but I should be better). Anyway, I LOVE these pictures. Especially the one of the birds all lined up,and the ones of you in the snow. Really great. I love the snow as well!