Saturday, December 19, 2009

Wintery Weekend




Here's our local christmas tree lot, around the corner on 110th street. I love seeing the trees all lined up on the sidewalk, walking through under the lights, and smelling that evergreen smell. We were on our way for tacos last weekend and walked through. So festive.

A snow-storm is coming to New York. Today I saw my first snow in the city (just flurries). Supposedly it's going to be a good storm, dumping 8-10 inches in the city. I'm really curious to see the city in snow. Everyone keeps talking about how crazy New York winters are, but so far it hasn't been anywhere close to the weather in Utah. I feel prepared with my giant puffy coat, and so far I've been fine. Bring it on! (I'm probably speaking too soon, maybe it will get really crazy in January and I'll have to eat my words.)

Last night after work I felt like we should go out and do something exciting so I could blog about it. Ice skating? Dinner somewhere fun? Finding more festive Christmas lights? But it was cold and a bit windy, and after stopping at the grocery store on the way home and walking in the door at 7:00, we decided to stay in. We made BLT's and S'mores Bars and chilled out. It was a nice evening.

Today I worked in Long Island (six day work weeks are becoming too common around here), then took the train back into the city. It was chilly out when I got home, so I put on a sweater and scarf, made homemade hot cocoa for Klane and I, lit candles and curled up on the couch. We're watching a show about the Iron Man Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii. It's both inspiring and painful to watch. I think maybe I should start exercising again.

Tonight there's a stake dance for the Manhattan youth, hosted in the Harlem ward building. Since Klane works with the youth, he's chaperoning. I'm going with him. It should be funny.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Get ready for a winter wonderland in NYC! It's not that the East gets more serious snow, it's just a lot wetter and heavier (remember the summertime humidity there?) and WAY more paralyzing to cities like NYC and DC. That's why there's such a magical thing known as "snow days" for school kids in those big cities!! (So much fun-- yay!)

You and Klane will make cute snow bunnies, so be sure to get out and document your first big NYC snowfall!

Halfords said...

Oh a stake dance! How fun!!

Lindsay said...

I cant wait until you take pictures of the city in snow!!!! It will be so beautiful!

Abbie said...

Boo to six day work weeks! When are you going to hang out with Abbie when you have to work so much? huh? Huh!?!

I love the Christmas tree lot picture. It really might be one of my very favorite things about Christmas in NYC.