Saturday, December 5, 2009

Winter's Eve

I told myself I wouldn't feel sad about leaving Utah. But then I did. I cried when the plane took off, thinking of all the people we were leaving behind to go on living lives that don't include us. But after crashing into bed at 2:00 am Monday morning and waking up a few hours later for work, we hit the ground running and things haven't slowed down one bit!

It's been really good for me. Our busy life in New York and the excitement of the holidays here has been really fun. I had a happy week filled with lots of good things, which is why I haven't had a spare second to blog until now.

Monday evening we went straight from work to the Upper West Side for Winter's Eve. Thank goodness Abbie is on top of things, or we would've never known about this fun seasonal festival. The sidewalks on Broadway from Columbus Circle to Lincoln Square were filled with musicians, street performers, jugglers, ice sculptors, and booths of local restaurants offering food tastings.



(my camera battery promptly died about five minutes into the evening. oops.)




We enjoyed a festive stroll through the streets, tasting good food, admiring beautiful lights, listening to music and just feeling the energy of the city. It was the perfect evening for our first night back to remind me how much I really do love New York.




yummy pad thai and chicken curry


Not sure how Abbie's kids really felt about Santa, but it was fun. :) I really love the sounds in this video, Santa's bells and the carolers in the background.





I already love Christmastime in the city. Twinkle lights and Christmas decorations everywhere, the smell of the evergreen trees for sale on the sidewalks, the crisp chill in the air, beautiful window displays in the department stores, and the extra cheer that seems contagious among city-dwellers. It's so beautiful! I love seeing the row of Christmas trees lit up, all down the center of Park Avenue, every night when I leave work. I love hearing Christmas music, especially by subway performers. I can't wait to go ice skating in Bryant Park. It's going to be a fun few weeks.

8 comments:

Mike said...

That stache made my winter festival...

emily kate said...

The night I got back to NYC from almost a month in Utah last Christmas I SOBBED. I'd held it in the whole flight and loooong subway home (my husband is a cheapskate and hardly ever let me take a cab from the airport) and by the time I walked in the apartment I just lost it. I think I'd forgotten how small our apartment was while I was gone, ha! It's funny now because I'm constantly thinking of NYC, especially Christmas in NYC. It's just magical there. Keep living it up!

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun! How did Christmas come so fast this year? I loved watching the video with Santa, the bells and the carolers...so magical. It's been good reading your past few blog posts...you're back! Yay! That video of you guys at the game was crazy, holy cow! I guess I should've attended agame once so I could hoist a football player on my shoulders and run around on the field. I'm glad you were able to have such a good time at home! I'm jealous, we won't be back in Utah until the summer.

Abbie said...

I'm so glad you came! It was so much fun to meet up. Eli is all talk - loves Santa from a safe distances. And I love Audrie's head shaking. Santa is pretty creepy if you think about it. And I love the trees on the streets - the only time NYC smells good!

It's so good to have you back! Now when should we play?

Abbie said...

PS - I love your cuteness at the end of the video. We really need to play!!

kelsey and murray said...

Ang- I love reading your amazing blog and all about your adventures in NYC. it looks like you guys are loving every minute out there. if we are ever out that way i am going to call you and have you help me plan out things to do!youre a doll!!

Morgan said...

This looks like so much fun! I'd been invited to this back when I lived in the city but I never did get a chance to go. I wish that I had. I now see that I was clearly missing out. I love all of your pictures. That first one is my favorite. I love all of the colors in it. Between the pretty bokeh off to the left and the gorgeous reflections on the tent, it's absolutely magical. I love it!

Mills Family said...

this is a fun post! I've looked at it a few different times. Fun!