Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I have lived 23 years on this earth. And I can confidently say without reservation that last night was absolutely the worst night of my life. I am not being dramatic. It really was the worst, scariest night of my entire life.

Let me tell you the condensed version.

Our flight home for Christmas had layovers in Washington DC and Chicago. Last night at 8:00 pm our flight from New York to DC was cancelled. Rather than reschedule for a later day, we made a quick decision to take the Chinatown bus overnight to DC and catch our second flight out of DC the next morning. We finished packing, headed for Chinatown and hopped on the 11:00 pm bus, set to arrive in DC at 3:15 am. We would have plenty of time to take a train to the airport in DC and make our 9:45 am flight to Chicago.


We were slightly nervous. What if we got there and our flight was cancelled?

We slept on the bus. There was a rest stop outside Philly, some people got off to use the bathroom and came back. Later, at 2:30 am, the bus stopped again at a truck stop outside Baltimore. We got off to use the bathroom quickly. But when we came out of the gas station, our bus was gone. It turned out this was not a rest-stop, it was a drop-off point. Our bus driver didn't announce it (he only really spoke Chinese anyway). He had left us at a truck stop somewhere outside Baltimore. Waves of shock, disbelief, and then intense anxiety washed over us.

So there we are, in the middle of nowhere, at 2:30 am. The bus has all our luggage on it, including our camera and Klane's computer (two of our most expensive possessions), our keys, our clothes, Christmas gifts, everything. It's freezing cold outside, and we've got nothing but our coats and our iPhones. I started praying. (I prayed a lot last night.)

After a moment of panic, we call the bus company. No one speaks English well enough to communicate with us. We call a cab to take us to DC, an hour drive away. 45 minutes later the cab finally comes, and once on the road we miraculously make phone contact with the bus station in DC. With a massive language barrier, we attempt to explain our situation and describe our bags to the Chinese lady on the other end. She says she will look for our bags and try to get them off the bus before it goes on to Virginia. But she says she won't wait for us to get there and pick them up because it's 3:30 am and they're closing right after the bus comes through. She tells us we can't get the bags till the station opens at 10:00 am. (Our flight is at 9:45.)

One ridiculously long and expensive cab ride later, involving the driver getting turned around a couple times, we arrive at the bus station in Chinatown DC. Of course the place is closed. It's 4:30 am, and it's super cold outside. We decide we'll have to wait for the station to open in the morning so we can try to pick up our bags, which we don't even know are there for sure, then try to get to the airport in time. We go into a hotel across the street and ask if we can sit in their lobby for two hours, and they turn us away into the cold night. Another hotel around the corner allows us to sit in their lobby to wait.

The hotel lobby is full of Christmas decorations, and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" starts playing on the radio. This is the point where reality sets in and I start sobbing uncontrollably. I realize that this is the scariest, worst situation I've ever found myself in. Klane was my rock, telling me everything would work out (even though he was freaking out too, on the inside). After a mini breakdown and a lot of agonizing over what had happened and worrying about what was going to happen, we settle in to wait for three hours. At this point we have no idea what's going to happen. If our bags aren't at the station when it opens, we can't fly out, but we won't have keys to our NYC apartment either. And what if the station opens too late and we miss our flight? And what if our bags are lost forever, with thousands of dollars worth of stuff in them?

I have never felt such an awful feeling. Helpless and anxious and afraid and confused and regretful, all at the same time.
sleeping in the lobby

Three miserable hours later, we head back to the bus station at 7:30 am, hoping the lady on the phone was wrong when she said it opened at 10.

It's open! They have our bags! But upon further inquiry, we discover that our largest piece of luggage, containing all our clothes, did not make it off the bus and was taken on to Virginia. There's nothing we can do and we've got to catch our flight, so we hop another cab to the airport. We catch a glimpse of the monuments in the early morning light.

Finally things start going our way at this point. The night is over. We have our most valuable stuff with us, and we can buy new clothes when we get to Utah. The cabbie is efficient and gets us to the airport with an hour before our flight. We try not to think about all the money and time and agony we've gone through to get here.

We could not believe we made it in time. After all we'd been through over the last 10 hours, we couldn't believe we were actually at the airport, with (most of) our bags, and headed to our flight.

We arrived at the gate just as the flight began boarding. Thankfully no delays. There was one little hiccup when our boarding passes were rejected at the gate because since our connecting flight to get us to DC was cancelled, they assumed we wouldn't be there to get on the second flight. But this ended up being a good thing, and they put us back on the flight, and in an exit row!


When we arrived in Chicago we were still in disbelief that we had actually made it. As you can see, we were so happy! A TSA worker offered to take our picture when he saw me taking one of Klane.

We finally made it to the gate, and our flight out of Chicago was one of the last to make it out of the airport before the massive storms hit the city, canceling most of the flights for the rest of the day. Whew!

This is the first glimpse of Utah soil I caught through the clouds on our approach for landing. I cried tears of joy when the mountains came into view. Another prayer (this time of thanks, not desperation) was offered. I still couldn't believe we made it!

So, after a series of unfortunate events and the scariest, worst night of my entire life, we ended up having a few miracles and making it home for Christmas. I still cannot believe everything that happened to us. I think it was a Christmas miracle that we made it here. Right now I am grateful for prayer and for iPhones. We absolutely would not have made it without both of those.

And if that is not a miracle, check this out: we followed up with the bus station in DC tonight, and they say our bag came back on the bus later in the day. Supposedly they have it there! Some very kind and generous friends in DC are picking it up in the morning and holding onto it for us until we can make a trip down to pick up all our favorite clothes. Christmas Miracles!

25 comments:

amanda said...

Oh my goodness, Angie! That is CRAZY. And to think I slept through all of it...should've been praying for you guys too. But HOORAY for making it home and retrieving all your goods! Hope Utah treats you well, and Merry Christmas, my friend!! :)

Sara said...

i am so happy you are here and still cannot believe that story... you were most definitely watched out for :)

Lindsay Henderson said...

For once I'm speechless, imagine that! Oh my heck Ang, that's awful!! Merry Christmas to you and your family, love you!!

Welcome! said...

Girly that is CRAZY! Im so glad your safe in Utah. Don't think to much on what happened and ENJOY your holiday!

Eliana

Katherine said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Angie, in your previous post you mentioned a layover in Chicago (which is why I commented that I would "say a prayer to get you through O'Hare") but you never mentioned DC!!! What a Christmas M.I.R.A.C.L.E. that you made it all the way to Utah given the awful weather, the cancelled flight, the crazy connections/fiascos/miscommunication/truck stop nightmare/Baltimore cab driver...

And to think that of all people, NAOMI MEGAN and JOSH would be your knights-in-shining-armor to rescue your lost luggage-- HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?

On our last family trip to London, NONE of our checked luggage made it, even though we checked in plenty early. It took four days to finally, miraculously get it. It put a serious damper on our trip but it taught me a lot about making do with the bare necessities. It also gave us an excuse to do more shopping in London!

All I can say is that you and Klane have some amazing, on-the-ball, loving guardian angels! AND you are obviously living right to deserve such blessings.

SENDING YOU A MERRY UTAH CHRISTMAS! Hallelujah. Amen. :)

Katherine said...

PS - Your saga gives new meaning to the "Nightmare Before Christmas."

Also, I cannot believe that throughout this ENTIRE ordeal, you had the presence of mind to document each phase of your trip with photos! I love it. You really are a consummate photographer!

Abbie said...

Oh my! That is crazy! I'm so sorry! I can't believe it. Really, that's insanity. I guess normal city life won't be as crazy after that. I'm so glad you made it to Utah and that your luggage is in safe hands. Now you can just enjoy a great Christmas with family!

Ashleigh said...

Oh man, that is just insane! I cannot believe that happened to you. I would have freaked to come outside to no bus! I am so glad you guys made it home with most of your belongnigs and that your other luggage is safe. Hopefully you get new clothes for Chritmas! haha. This will be a great story to tell for years! Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your time with family!

Angie said...

Katherine, I want tto re-title my post now! I think I really will, "nightmare before Christmas" is too perfect to pass up. Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea. :)

todd and erin said...

Wow Angie, that is quite the experience! I am so glad you made it back to you Utah safely! Have a merry Christmas!

Lake Family said...

Wow! you'll be retelling that story for many years to come. What an ordeal!

Sharla said...

Wow, I'm so glad you kids are finally here! Thanks for keeping me updated throughout the night so we could pray for you. It would be so scary to be left unexpectedly in the night, in the cold, without your possessions, in the middle of nowhere....alone.... with a deadline fast approaching no less. YIKES! You didn't even tell in your post half of the crazy things that happened. You're so fortunate to have made it out of Chicago when you did. Just another 30 minutes of delay and you would be spending Christmas in the windy city. So, so good to have you home for the holidays! Love you two so much!

Morgan said...

Oh my goodness, what a crazy story! Full of drama, suspense, and then a very happy ending. In the beginning, I was sure that this would end badly. I was kind of afraid to find out what happened at the end of it all. It was just one awful thing after the next. I cannot even imagine how scary that must have been. And the fact that "I'll Be Home for Christmas" was playing on the radio? I don't think that was a coincidence. It must have made you feel so hopeless at the time, but I'm thinking that maybe it was just a sign that, despite all that was happening, you really would get home for Christmas. I am SO happy that you both got there safely and that so many things worked out for you. Miracles, indeed.
I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas!

Kyle said...

Angie!!! Looks like someone was really watching out for you!!! So scary! I dont know what I would have done... Glad youre home for Christmas. Its 65* in Tempe!!

Alyssa/Jo said...

Two words: Holy Shmoly!! Stuff like this is so not fun while it is happening, but in a year you'll look back on this and laugh. glad you made it safely!

Sydna Graf said...

Oh my! You two really were blessed. Bus stations are scary, and it's a wonderful thing that you got your expensive items back. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Katherine said...

Angie, I'm flattered that you liked that idea! Your experience was just so Kafkaesque... Your mom mentioned that you didn't even tell "half of the crazy things that happened." Now that we know you're safe and that the story has a happy ending, you must post the full version someday! (Besides, you are such a great writer.)

Merry Christmas!

Carly April said...

oh. my. gosh. I am sick just thinking of it. I am so glad that you guys at least had each other!!! (it makes me nervous about doing things alone!) but i am so glad that everything has worked out even though it was such a nightmare. I'm so sorry you went through all that. Have a very merry christmas and enjoy utah!

Yelena said...

whew!! what a horrible night!! oh my.. so glad everything turned out well in the end! thank god! :)

emily kate said...

Oh my gosh Angie!! I was almost in tears just reading this, imagining how stressed out I would have been. I always found traveling from NYC to be quite stressful but add in all of this. Wow! I'm so glad it all worked out though and you got to spend some time with your family! Hopefully you'll handle going back to NYC better than I did last year. I walked into our tiny apt. and started hysterically crying! Oddly enough, I wish I was going back there after this Christmas instead of Vegas but hey that's life right? :)

hilary w said...

What a miracle that everything worked out all right! I can't believe how scary that must have been for you. I am so glad you made it safe and sound and all your belongings are safe, too.

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness! Our travel problems were NOTHING compared to you guys! I am so sorry! What a fun story to tell posterity, though!

p.s. what kind of camera do you guys have? I was just looking at all your Christmas pics and they are so professional looking! Brian and I are saving up for a nice camera, but we have no clue what kind of nice camera, we need some ideas.

Bryan, Taylor and Aspen said...

Holy Moly!! What a crazy scary night. Glad you made it to Utah.

rubi said...

Wow! I can't believe this! I'm so glad everything worked out in the end though. I almost cried while reading this. Merry belated Christmas and happy new year. So glad you got to spend it at home.

Katherine said...

Is any of the luggage pictured in Naomi's post today yours? Just wondering!