Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Light Show and other "Holiday" Things



I already loved the giant snowflakes covering Saks.
But then I saw this:



It made me giddy. I love Christmas!

Today I got off work early, so I took the long way back to the subway to see some holiday lights. The lights in Midtown are beautiful. Most trees are lit up and there are Christmas trees, garlands and wreaths in all the businesses, decorating storefronts and adorning the hotels. The display and giant tree at Rockefeller really is spectacular. This was my first time seeing the finished tree up close. It's so beautiful! I even got a little Christmas shopping done along the way, stopping at a stand on the street for some cute (and cheap!) items, which must remain secret for now.

I'm still trying to get used to the fact that a lot of people here don't celebrate Christmas. I'd say over half the patients at the ortho office are Jewish. I keep slipping up and asking people if they're excited for Christmas, or where they're going for Christmas break, and then I remember and have to correct myself. It's funny. I've got to get in the habit of referring to this season as "the holidays".

Yesterday a little blonde kid was trying to choose colors for his braces and I said, "How about red and green, for Christmas?"

The kid looks up at me with a straight face and says, "I'm Jewish." in a totally 'duh' kind of way.

His mom jumped in and saved me, saying, "Holiday colors, what a good idea! You could do blue and white, for Hanukkah." and then as an afterthought, "Or black, green and red, for Kwanzaa!"

That blessed, helpful, politically correct woman. I now remember that at some point in my life I learned that Hanukkah colors were blue and white. And I had completely forgotten about Kwanzaa. I'm learning so much.

Happy Holidays!

9 comments:

Abbie said...

I love you! I know, I've got to remember this too. I was going to write a post about Hanukkah, but haven't yet.

And, again, you're making me so excited for our trip to midtown. I hope we can do it tomorrow, but the kids might be sick still. Ugh.

Morgan said...

The snowflake display is very cool! And the video is adorable, just like always. I love how the two of you capture so many of the details of your lives through photographs and videos. I really need to get better about that, especially the videos.

Your "holiday" experiences make me laugh. There are seriously SO MANY Jewish people in the northeast. I grew up in a predominantly Jewish town in New Jersey. I remember one time back in kindergarten when we were on a field trip. I was sitting on the bus right between two of my Jewish friends. We were discussing religion (weird, I know). One of them asked me what religion I was. Actually, she specifically asked if I was Jewish. I, being the clueless little five-year-old I was, responded, "Ummm yeah? Yeah, yeah. I think I am!"

I eventually learned that I am, in fact, not Jewish. And now I, too, often forget that not everyone celebrates Christmas.

Sorry for filling up your comment box with some weird, random story from my childhood. I think I need to stop talking now!

Christine said...

hahahahaha, i would have such a hard time not asking people about christmas. i guess i'm pretty safe out here in utah, though!!

ps i think i remember learning that Hanukkah colors were blue and white, but had forgotten...

my first reaction? blue and white! go BYU!!

Jennifer said...

Those lights are so pretty. Thanks for sharing the video!

The thing about the "holidays" is funny!

Sharla said...

Love the "Holidays" and can't wait to celebrate with you. You know who would be up on the whole Celebrations of different kinds is Aunt Cherene. She is so great about teaching her third graders about the different celebrations so they can relate to others and appreciate their customs and believes. Love your beautiful pics and it was fun to get the reaction of the street goers as you walked thru this winter festival of Holiday Cheer!

Sharla said...

oh and I love how you get the Holiday spirit and get so excited about purchasing presents and the giving of gifts. so fun to talk to you on the phone in the middle of all this excitement!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

K Ang, I LOVE all of your Christmas in New York pictures!!! VERY different than our 75 degree desert over here haha. Pretty sure Matt and I will have to come visit next December. Sound good?

Sydna Graf said...

I seriously am going to pack up the family one of these years and spend Christmas in NYC. I can't believe how festive it all is! Thanks for sharing all of the fun.

Mills Family said...

I love those snowflakes!!!