Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmastime on Fifth Avenue

Wednesday night was the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony. For the past several weeks, Klane and I have walked through Rockefeller Plaza on the way home, watching the progress on the tree decoration. I've been so excited every time I see it. So of course I wanted to attend the lighting. (And the fact that Michael Buble would be performing was just an added bonus.)

We ate dinner at home while watching the first part of the celebration on TV. For some reason, I naively assumed it would be as easy to attend this Christmas celebration as it was with Winter's Eve. I didn't stop to think about the fact that this is a nationally televised event, with multiple music superstars performing, and loads of security stretching within blocks of the Plaza in every direction. I was just like, "Hey, we walk through there every other day! Let's just drop by!" So we hopped on the train.

Arriving an hour after the program began, we hit a wall of people about halfway between the Plaza and 6th Avenue. Working our way through the crowd got us within 30 yards of the big screen showing exactly what was playing on our TV at home. And it was raining. I was pretty frustrated.


this was the view of the screen.


Realizing we can see the tree anytime we want in the next few weeks, we decided to skip the lighting ceremony for another holiday activity on my list: checking out the window displays and holiday lights. It turned out to be such a fun evening. The city looks so beautiful with all the lights and Christmas decorations everywhere. We walked up 5th Avenue admiring the lights. And the window displays at Bergdorf Goodman exceeded my expectations by far. They were absolutely unreal. Please excuse the horrendous amounts of photos of them, they were just so intricate and incredible.


we did catch a glimpse of the tree over a sea of umbrellas as we walked past on our way to 5th Avenue, before being herded along by NYPD.


(there were a lot of cops to herd people. crowd control.)



giant ornaments on 6th Avenue


My cute husband, who came out with me even though he's been really sick all week.
He's a sweetheart.



We stepped inside Saks Fifth Avenue and I literally gasped when I saw the beautiful decorations inside. I wasn't expecting to step into a winter wonderland! It's really gorgeous in there. And I'm a sucker for white twinkle lights. So magical!





on to Bergdorf Goodman, home of the famous window displays.





This window has hundreds of spiral staircases of different sizes, ranging from human sized to miniature. Very intricate, very cool.



This window had a storybook theme. Everything in it was created entirely out of paper, including these beautiful roses and branches. Amazing.




This one is awesome. From the sidewalk looking in the window, it appears you're looking down into a room from above. It is so cool!



This cute little girl was so entranced, I had to snap a shot.


we caught a glimpse of the tree about 40 minutes after the celebration ended. It is pretty spectacular. It's around 70-90 feet tall, and has over 5 miles of christmas lights strung throughout the branches. Amazing!

10 comments:

MommaChelle said...

wow! i love all the christmas decorations!!! saks really does look like a winter wonderland!

Lynsie said...

I would love to see all the displays in person but I guess I get to settle for the pictures! Thanks! We love you guys!

Abbie said...

This makes me soooo excited to go down to midtown! We're going to go on Wednesday to see santa at Macy's and then see all these things! Fun!! Thanks for getting me excited!

Sharla said...

Wow! I still want to come in person, but you provided the next best thing! What a magical time to see the City. NY does it up big!!!

Lindsay said...

WOW!!! I love all the pictures so much! But that little girls pic is AMAZING! I want to learn how to make those cut paper hearts. And I am sad I am missing out on all those amazing window set ups!

Klane said...

Your skills of photography are killing it! Don't worry folks. This is even better than being there. For truesies.

Mills Family said...

Looking through this...I kept saying, "WOW!...so pretty, so awesome!" And, I kept thinking that each picture could be something I'd see as I was flipping through a magazine! I am a people watcher... and so I love the pics that you snap of random people. Very cool!

Yelena said...

wow..im speechless!
you got some great images!
and those decorations are absolutely breathtaking!! i am so jealous.. wish i could be in new york taking in all those decorations in personally!
that last image of the little girl is stunning! :)

Allison Box said...

Ok, so I am hope I am not going to scare you by telling you that I have been following your blog for a long time and you probably have no idea who I am. But I am friends with Annie Harding and I knew your brother Kyle and Klane from high school. But I have been wanting to tell you for so long how much I love your blog. I am appreciate being able to live in NY through you and Klane. What an incredible experience for you two. I just can't wait to go to NY myself and see the beauty. In the mean time, I hope you don't mind me enjoying your blog and photos. It is great.

Lindsay Henderson said...

Oh my goodness how amazing Ang! I'm so excited that you get to be surrounded by such awesome Christmas decor!! It's just breathtaking from the pictures, I can just imagine the goose bumps you get seeing the whole city decked out!! I would LOVE to be there!! Merry Christmas, oh and from your previous post just in case, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Holidays, haha;) Love ya!!