Wednesday, June 10, 2009

the first interview

I went to my interview this morning. It went great! Thank you all so so much for your love and well-wishes. Your encouragement meant so much and helped a lot! I met up with Klane afterward for lunch and he insisted we do a little photoshoot in my outfit. What a cute husband! I was kind of embarrassed but it's okay. More on the interview below, for those who're interested.

"candid"

oh, hi husband. i didn't see you there, i was just walking...


wishing i had a job like all these other people in suits

he's so supportive. i love him.

The office was very high end; really really nice. And everyone was so kind and very professional. Great for a first interview. I also appreciated the way they run their practice, they emphasize teamwork and customer service, and it seemed like a really positive environment to work in. I spoke with the office manager as well as the doctor, and shadowed the hygienist for an hour to see how they do things. Oh, I would love to work in this office, it was so awesome! They allow their hygienists a full hour for each patient. They have all the best instruments and equipment, and they've got suction, which I guess it isn't so common out here. The dentist was so nice and very positive, and said he was impressed by me and that they'd keep my information and let me know if they decide to have me work there. However, he was very up front with me and told me they had interviewed a lot of great, qualified people who they were interested in. So considering I have zero experience, I'm assuming they'll go with the other applicants. That's the feeling I got anyway.

Either way it was a very positive first experience with job interviews and I came away feeling really great and a lot more confident. I wasn't expecting to get hired on my first interview, so it was just a good experience. We'll see if we hear anything from them.

I can already see that the big problem is going to be the fact that I just recently graduated. Everyone wants to hire someone with three years experience; even the temp agency said it would be hard to find work for a recent grad. I want to say to these people, "And how do you expect me to get experience if no one will allow me to work without already having experience?" It doesn't really make sense. I'll probably have to keep looking until I find an office that's totally desperate for a hire. Kind of scary but I think that's just how it's going to go. I'll keep you posted!

12 comments:

Sara said...

dear grown up and professional Angie,
i think you are totally awesome. and that your suit is fabulous. and im so happy you put up details because i have been waiting all day to hear how it went. and maybe if you don't get this job you could be a mobile hygenist and clean teeth on the subway. that's all.
love,
sara the much less grown up who wears flying hippo t-shirts to work

Christine said...

i REALLY dislike jobs that want you to have experience. i kind of want to ask them, "so, how did YOU get started? hmm? was it easy? did someone HELP YOU OUT? HELP ME OUT!"

:)

the office sounds amazing. hopefully they realize how wonderful you are and they'll hire you!

Ross Co. said...

If they don't call back, 'I guess they didn't want awesome'. ;) Who doesn't hire someone who looked fabulous and practically aced all her tests?

Mitzi said...

Ange, what an exciting time of life for you guys :) You are a brave girl, I don't think I would dare step out of my house in the big city!
Good luck with your job search... they couldn't hire anyone better, even if they had experience. You are a darling, smart, nice, tall (yea), girl.
I love to reat your blog.

Mitzi said...

how bout "read" your blog.

Sharla said...

Amazing!! That is what comes to mind when I look at these pics! You do look all grown up and professional and well, just darn right beautiful! How fun to step into this new world, that is almost like make-believe, but oh so real. We have all the confidence in the world in you and know you will land the perfect job at just the right time. For now keep on getting dressed up and step out into that big city and strut your stuff!!!

Sarah said...

Good for you Ang! You are going to find the best office for you! :) You look great in your suit as well, I love it!! I need your email to add you to my blog! Email me at sbuzz5@gmail.com. It was so great to see you back at your dad's office! Congrats on the interview!!

Sarah (Buswell) Kolar

Colette said...

Angie, you look fabulous! I love the suit!

k. said...

Please do tell me where this dentist is. He sounds like a gem.

theRach said...

Cute pictures...you look so OFFICIAL. :) Good job on the interview; hopefully it'll work out! If not, I'm sure you'll find something great. I'm sharing the same frustration as you right now....I'm wondering if I'll even get temp work. I got a call this morning about a temp job, and then a "never mind" when they found out I'd just gotten my license. Hmph.

Mills Family said...

Oh, first of all...I love..let me say again....LOVE your interview outfit! I was thinking that I would like the exact same one for when I ever need to interview again in the future! I have had a lot of interviews in the past...but usually I have gotten away with wearing the "hippo" shirt (like the post above says!) but this is Cedar...and they were all waitressing jobs I was interviewing for! You will find the perfect job that you are suppose to be at! I can just feel it!

emily said...

Good luck on the job hunt. It's so frustrating when you're fresh out of college and everybody wants to hire someone with experience. Ugh!

Suction isn't common out here!? Weird. Guess I'm glad I never made it to the dentist.

Also, your outfit is hot!