Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Campout

Since our husbands were on a scout campout together, Rubi, Marci and I got together Friday night for some girl time. We made yummy s'mores cupcakes :


and watched Amélie:


What an absolutely darling movie. Loved it. I should watch more foreign films. We should also have more girl's nights while our husbands are at scouts. It was so fun!

I got home late, after 1:00, and snuggled into bed for a restless night. (I hear things when Klane's gone.) A while later, the bell rang. Slightly disoriented, I got out of bed to check the intercom and see who was outside. There was no one there, but at the edge of the screen I could see the door closing. Whoever rang had gotten inside. I assumed it was someone who forgot their keys, and someone else buzzed them in. A little unnerved, I bolted the door and got back in bed.

A few minutes later, I heard a bump at the door. Then someone fiddling with the handle. Then the door opening. After my heart jumped out of my chest, I realized it was Klane.

"What are you doing here?" I said.

"We just finished playing video games at the church, and they had enough leaders that they didn't need me to camp with them," he said.

"You scared me! Don't do that!" (I am ornery when I'm half asleep.)

"I'm sorry," (He knows I'm ornery when I'm half asleep.) "I buzzed you so you'd know I was coming."

"Oh. Thanks." I guess that made sense. Just not to my sleepy brain. I'm laughing now. Of course it was Klane.

So the scouts camped in their snow caves outside, and Klane got to come home after a few hours of Playstation and sleep in his bed! I'd say he got a pretty good deal there. It's kind of ironic since Klane actually loves winter camping, and most people are less than excited about sleeping outside in sub-freezing temperatures. But I'd say we were both happy with the way things turned out.

11 comments:

Abbie said...

Oh my! I have Amelie bangs. That's exactly what my hair looks like. That makes me feel better.

That's all. I'm so excited to play with you on Monday!

Morgan said...

Again with the food! Chocolate is my weakness. This is all just too much for me.

That girl's night sounds like so much fun! Who ever said that girl's nights need to be about going out?! Staying in and baking and watching movies can be just as much fun.

Your story definitely had me in suspense. I was scared from the moment you mentioned getting home late.

Now in your last post, when you mentioned them camping out in the snow caves, I convinced myself that you must have been joking. I think I just didn't want to believe that people actually sleep outside, in the cold, wet snow, FOR FUN. Surely that must be a guy thing.

Sharla said...

Looks like you are having a great weekend. I need to chat with you and start our planning. I need Angie!!!

Bryan, Taylor and Aspen said...

So funny! We have a buzzer too and I can totally imagine me doing the same thing.....Freaking out! Your treats look amazing! I really want to make those cupcakes.

Marci Joy said...

It was a lovely night! Look how cute those cupcakes are.

rubi said...

we should do this more often!
i'm so glad we all got to have our husbands back home with us that night though. :)

Natalie said...

Have you ever seen "He loves me, He loves me not"?? It has the same actress from Amalie in it. Brian and I saw it in the SWKT for his honors program requirements and we ended up renting it and watching it again. It's great! I think you and Klane would BOTH like it.

Katherine said...

I love an occasional girls' night out--always fun!

Good little mystery story! You had me at "but at the edge of the screen I could see the door closing..." (Creeeepy!) So glad it was Klane!

MommaChelle said...

That cookie recipe is really similar to one that I make. i LOVE them.!

Yelena said...

those cookies look so delicious!! :D

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Um, yum. S'more cupcakes? Are you kidding me?!

I didn't end up using amaretti cookies for my lasagna, either. But since an amaretti cookie is apparently similar to a macaroon, I went for that instead. But since I shop at Pathmark and there were no macaroons, I went for some Mexican-brand coconut cookie, and it did the trick :).

I would bet Amaretti cookies are available at nicer grocery stores in the city? Or I saw them once on a shelf at TJMaxx (um, freshness?). I'll keep an eye out and definitely keep you apprised to the amaretti cookie hunt results, but in the meantime, viva la Pathmark coconut cookie :).