Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Weekend Recap

I have a confession. I am officially bloggerwhelmed. I can't keep up with reading and commenting on everyone's blogs, not to mention posting on my own blog. I am just too busy to do fun and interesting things, and I think this time of year there's not a lot going on to take pictures of or post about. I feel bad for not taking pictures and posting more often, but let's be honest: it is freezing and quite ugly outside, so going out to do fun things and take pictures is not that appealing. I have even considered taking an official blogging break for a week so I don't have to think about it for a while.

But Spring is coming and hopefully that will pull me out of the blogging slump. I just had to confess. Now for the weekend recap...

Saturday:
  • Laundry

  • Modern Warfare (Klane) and reading books (Angie)

  • An afternoon nap

  • A romantic dinner at Alta in the West Village. It's a Mediterranean restaurant and you order several smaller dishes to share, so you get to sample several different foods. Each dish we tried was so unique and delicious, from the fried goat cheese with lavender-infused honey, to the ricotta parmesan gnocchi, to the lamb meatballs. It was such a fun, romantic evening. Perfect Valentine's date.

  • Homemade s'mores treats and a movie on the couch

Sunday:
  • Klane taught a great Sunday School lesson on God's Plan of Salvation and the importance of our physical bodies.

  • When we got home Klane set me on the bed, handed me my book and told me I wasn't allowed to get up. He washed the dishes, put away the clothes, cleaned up and fixed us lunch! I love my husband.

  • Valentine's Day dinner. We whipped up the yummiest pasta and amazing (+ easy) breadsticks.


  • Klane got me this cute shirt from Anthropologie! I was so impressed. This is the first article of clothing I've owned from there (besides a plain white undershirt), because every time I go in I can't commit to choosing something. Klane isn't a big shopper, so it's pretty out of his comfort zone to pick out a shirt for me. Which makes it that much more sweet. He did good.

  • Another movie on the couch.

Monday:
  • SLEPT IN!!

  • Cleaned a lot of neglected corners of the apartment. Felt so good!

  • Discovered the MOST AMAZING GROCERY STORE just up the street. Best Yet Market just opened, it's only three blocks away and I will now only be shopping there. I am not kidding you, this was in my top three highlights for this weekend. I almost cried, I was so happy. It is HUGE, and so clean, the isles are so wide, and they have a huge selection, and fresh produce and meats and you can actually find more rare ingredients there. We both walked through the store in awe and kept saying, "I cannot believe this! This is incredible!" Seriously, I think being able to shop at this store will change my life for the better. That may sound dramatic, but you have no idea how much I hated our tiny grocery store with the limited selection and questionable produce/meat, crowded isles, huge lines, etc etc. This is me, about to cry tears of joy, after I discovered that they actually had more than one type of brown sugar there. It was so beautiful.


  • Spent a few hours in B&H, playing with and drooling over cameras and lenses, and Klane picked out his Valentine's day present: a new set of nice headphones.

  • Finally spent my Williams Sonoma store credit from our wedding. I decided to use it all toward one big purchase and I am so happy with what I got. It's even red for Valentine's day:

9 comments:

Calee said...

Yay for better grocery shopping and YAY for your kitchenaid! You will LOVE it! Your chicken/spinach/pasta recipe is printing right this moment, I'm drooling and so excited to try it:).
And no, you shouldn't take a hiatus from blogging, what will I do with myself every night after dinner?!

Abbie said...

You are not being dramatic! That store is going to be life changing. Amazing! I'm so happy for you right now. Really! And a mixer!!! Sweet! Now I'm jealous. You'll just have to make me delicious treats:) Deal?

emily kate said...

Sounds like such a nice weekend! And I totally understand the pure joy over a decent grocery store nearby! Grocery shopping (at a reasonable price) in NYC is painful at best.

Sharla said...

I love your weekend re-cap!! Wow!!! What alot of things you did and such a nice long weekend with hubby. I so remember the joy of having large chunks of time with your dad when we could. You just soak it all in and do everything possible together. Love your mixer, and red!! You will not know what to do with yourself. Watch out mrshardingcooks!

Katherine said...

I'm so excited for you and your new market-- YAY! I would seriously cry tears of joy too.

Take a break from blogging if you need to. No, don't-- I would miss reading your posts! Just find a happy medium somehow.

I love your hair in this post!

Morgan said...

Ok, lots to comment about here.

First of all, I can definitely relate as far as the blogging slump goes. Some people make keeping up with blogs look so easy, but it's not. As of right now I have 422 posts to read on Google Reader. That must be some kind of record. I've been behind for months. And then once I catch up on a blog, I have to keep up with it so that I don't get ever further behind. Blogging is not supposed to be this stressful! I love blogging, but I just don't always have time for it.

I am SO HAPPY that you had such a fabulous Valentine's Day! It looks so perfect and romantic. Klane was so sweet to let you relax for the afternoon. And he did such a great job picking out your shirt! Maybe he should have helped out your boss with his gift shopping;)

I can totally understand your excitement about the grocery store. Definitely not too dramatic. I remember when I lived in Brooklyn Heights and there was a fire at the grocery store right by my building (the only one where I could get everything I needed.) It was closed for months. I had to resort to the store next door to it, Peas & Pickles (sounds awful, right?) It was pretty bad- tiny, carried nothing but cereal. I don't think they even sold brown sugar of any kind. I still remember the day that the other one reopened (bigger and better than ever). It was a very happy day.

I love your Williams-Sonoma purchase! Great choice.

Okay, this is way too long. I'm going to be quiet now.

rubi said...

woohoo for a kitchen aid!
happy valentines day!
your hair looks cute in these pictures. :)

Yelena said...

what a great, great weekend! :)
i'm so with you on the blogging slump...me too! it sucks! come on spring!!! :)

Kimpossible said...

Yeah! I'm so excited about best yet too!

And...they have free samples...does it get better than that?