Saturday, February 6, 2010

Free Energy and Cajun food (worth the wait)

Klane heard about a free concert in Chelsea last night. Free? In NYC?! Yes, please! We'd heard a couple songs by this band before and liked their sound. Even though we had to wait in the cold for over an hour to get in (I hate waiting.) it was fun once we got inside and Free Energy started playing. Their music was upbeat and they gave off this "peace, love, happiness" vibe that made me feel like they were time warped here straight out of the 60's. They were fun to watch. (Click and listen to their song "Something in Common". My fave.)




It was a mistake to wait 45 minutes (I hate waiting.) to see the second band. Super weird electronic music, with a creepy lead singer that made me uncomfortable to watch. We laughed, and left after one song.


After the show, we went to try Delta Grill in Hell's Kitchen. Despite the promised 25 minute-turned 45 minute wait (I. Hate. Waiting. Grrrr.) and my resulting bad attitude going in, we ended up having a great time. The atmosphere was awesome; they had a great live band and we felt like we were in New Orleans.

I've never tried (or even thought of trying) Cajun/Creole food, so it was fun to try something new, and the food was incredible! The fried green tomatoes with black pepper cream sauce were addicting. The barbecue St. Louis ribs fell off the bone, and I am not exaggerating at all when I tell you the baked mac and cheese was the best I've ever had in my whole life. I wanted to take a second order home. Next time we'll be a little more daring and order a crawfish po'boy or andouille sausage jambalaya or fried catfish.

Here are some pictures of the restaurant found on the internet, since it was too dark to take phone pictures last night but I want you to see it:





15 comments:

Sharla said...

I just texted you to see if you got in!

Looks like it was well worth the Wait!

Fun to go to New Orleans without getting on a plane.
You are so cute and so fun to read about! We were excited to see a post this morning bright and early. Dad says NYC is like Disney Land, around the corner is a whole new adventure waiting to be experienced and you two are doing it up right!

Gaskin Girl said...

That looks so tasty! I love how you blog about the yummy food you come across in NYC! Way to go for wanting to try something new next time, but I'm not sure I'd EVER be brave enough to eat fried catfish. Just the name of it makes me want to never eat again.

Angie said...

Haha, Nikki, agreed. I was skeptical when I read the menu. Hence the safe "mac and cheese" order. :) I'm so daring.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Cajun food is delicious! We tried it in New Orleans and loved it. And hooray for free concerts by good bands! Matt and I are loving a band called "The Afters" right now. Have you heard of them?

Raquel said...

Thanks!! :)

I've heard from a few people now that snowboarding is both easier and funner than skiing. I kind of regret not trying that first but I'm already planning my next ski trip to Utah for 2011! Lol.

I loved it. So beautiful and serene yet so much to do! It's a great place to raise a family! And so many places to eat! We had such a hard time deciding!

Katherine said...

Fun date night-- I love all the dining possibilites in Hell's Kitchen! If you guys like Greek food, there are lots of options. Btw, that mac and cheese looks really yummy-- great shot!

CNN just reported that Manhattan seems to have dodged most of the nor'easter; is this true?

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hooray! My family is all about cajun food, with good ole' Louisiana as our neighbor. Nate and I don't like seafood, unfortunately, but just hearing you mention all of those foods made us both homesick.

Calee said...

I'm like you, I don't dare try any of the REAL cajun stuff but Jed would be in Heaven. He served his mission in Mississippi and fell in love with creole food; catfish, okra, you name it, he ate it. bleh!
It would be so great to try something new around every corner though!

Angie said...

Katherine, you're right, we dodged the storm completely. I'm disappointed, actually. I was looking forward to snow! It's only snowed enough to stick twice this year, and the second time it only stuck for a couple hours, then melted. This storm was supposed to be so crazy and as late as Friday afternoon the weather people were predicting 5-7 inches that night, and then - NOTHING! Very disappointed. I don't trust those weather people as far as I can throw them.

Mills Family said...

Ok, so i've totally been checking out your food blog just now as I sit here on super bowl sunday at jay's parents house. I love your food cooking ideas!!!! Now, I need to start cooking more of them!yum! Hey, also, I love love loved your post "Happy Tuesday"!!!!!!!! THat's how I felt after my week was over from Fitness RIdge. I seriously felt JUST like that as I left that place friday night!!! So, I do relate with you! :)

Sydna Graf said...

Ha, ha, Krysta said that the second band (the one you didn't like) is one of her favorites. I think I should be worried about her taste in music! She likes a lot of different groups that no one else does. I need to try Cajun food; it sounds good after you blogged about it.

Harries Family said...

I am so jealous of all of the great food you get to try. Well if I ever visit NY I will call you and you can tell me where to eat. I just love good food!!

Abbie said...

Fun! Free concert? That awesome! Canjun food is yummy. I haven't had it in a while. Maybe we'll have to go down.

So excited to see you soon! Yayayay for a day OFF!!!!

Amber and Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber and Ryan said...

The private blogs are always forgotten; that is one con of going private. This isn't our first introduction to potty training with Summer. I tried with Summer in the past, and when she started to loose interest I stopped. I guess she was ready this time, because it was INCREDIBLY easy. I am in no way a potty training expert, but maybe your friend might try backing off for a while. Every child is different, so it is hard to say for sure. And yes, it is the mirror from clinic.