Sunday, February 21, 2010

Super Size Me


This weekend after catching up with LOST on hulu, we browsed through the free movies section and found Super Size Me. Of course we'd both heard a lot about the film over the last few years, so we watched it. I am so glad we did! I think everyone should watch it.

For those who haven't heard about this film, it's a documentary about a guy who eats at McDonald's for one month straight, to see the effect it has on his body. Doctors and nutritionists monitor the changes that occur all along the way. The film also explores corruption in the food industry and the obesity epidemic in America. It was shocking to see the negative effects that such a high fat, high sugar diet had on the body. The guy gained 10 lbs in the first week. By day 22, his doctors were urging him to stop the experiment because his liver may not be able to handle the high levels of fat, and he was actually in danger of liver failure and death. It took him 14 months to lose the 24 pounds he gained in just 30 days.

Watching it made us want to be so much healthier. We don't even eat at McDonald's, but the film caused me to think about the choices I make in the foods I cook at home and my exercise level (or lack thereof, at times). I realized I use a lot of sugar and fat in my cooking and not nearly enough fresh fruits and vegetables. I know eating only McDonald's for a month is a very extreme example, but it still showed the very real damage that unhealthy foods do to the body. And the film made me realize that food is a real addiction for people, just as much as alcohol or drugs.

So Klane and I ran a few miles Saturday morning. And had salad for lunch. And walked home from church today. Haha. The movie definitely had a positive influence on us. You can (and you probably should) watch the film for free here.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

yeah that movie made me sick. I totally understand your take on it. I almost threw up watching it.

Mills Family said...

OH, yes. I have heard a lot about this actually. They even showed some of it in detention when I use to work there in Cedar. I'll have to check it out and watch the whole thing. Yeah, our food does really affect our bodies huh! Eating a bit healthier and exercising a bit does wonders-

Abbie said...

I still haven't watched, but I want to. Maybe when we're in Texas hanging out with my super healthy mom-in-law.

Calee said...

Bleh, it really is so gross the things we put into our bodies without thinking about it. I watched it when it came out and haven't eaten at McD's since.

Sharla said...

Did McDonald's have a big problem with this movie. tee hee Ok so I think after reading this I will go work out and then have a nice bowl of Oatmeal Cereal for Breakfast and maybe some homemade, whole wheat bread Barbara gave me last night. That should do the trick. We better watch the film, sounds like everyone should.

mb said...

Ha! I love that movie in a weird way. Every single time I pass a McDonalds especially in the city since that is where it is mostly filmed, I think of that movie. Although they have the best diet coke...

Dayna said...

I saw this a couple years ago and i loved it. I agree with everything you said. It totally changed my outlook on food and made me want to eat healthier, and although I'm still not the most healthy eater after seeing it, I NEVER eat fast food EVER if i can help it. Watching him eat it everyday just makes you feel sick. I totally agree about the food addiction thing too. People never see it as a serious problem but it is!!! It was interesting how the guy was addicted afterwards and had to have it at least once a day after the month was up as he was trying to lose the weight.

Angie said...

MB - YES, now when I see McDonalds I'm like "DIE, EVIL SPAWN OF SATAN!" Hahaha. No but really I look at it as this place of evil and deception. Hahaha. Luring little kids in with their toys and their clown mascot... it's just wrong!

Katherine said...

I also agree with everything you said. I recently heard a nutritionist explain that food manufacturers may soon need to rethink "portion size" when they label the packaging because so many Americans have no clue what a reasonable portion is anymore.

Sad to think that McDonalds can be found in so many major cities around the world-- like we're spreading the fast food obsession and resulting disease... it's pathetic really.