Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Maiden Voyage



I used my new mixer for the first time! I was surprised at myself and just how excited I actually got. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to use it. But I just didn't expect that I would involuntarily start jumping up and down and squealing as I watched it knead my dough for the first time. It was glorious!

I only had one little mishap. (Note to self: Make sure the arm is locked in the "down" position before kneading dough.) The mixer made it as far as the sixth cup of flour, but the seventh cup was the threshold. It somehow caused the non-secured arm to jump up, puffing flour everywhere. It was a great moment.

The damage:



But look at this gorgeous dough. And I didn't have to stir or knead anything!


And the results worked out pretty well. I figure with years of practice I'll learn to form loaves of french bread as beautiful as my mom's. :)


And since most pictures I take lately are of our food, here's what we made tonight. Shrimp Po' Boys (Klane's idea). We'll say it was a meal in celebration of Mardi Gras, which is today.


10 comments:

Abbie said...

I really REALLY want one.

Yelena said...

I got my mother one of those for Christmas..she's been using an older model and didn't want to waste money on a newer one, but was so excited when I got her one! :D
that looks delicious! :)

Sharla said...

Oh my goodness, those look so good, and I too want a bite! You deserve a mixer and it will make your life so awesome. Oh the ease of all your culinary travels. I think you are so darling and I am so happy for your new red appliance. The bread looks so yummy and I bet it made your Po'Boys the best! Love that recipe!! Your kitchen help looks amazin!
The flour mishap just made for great pics!!

Sydna Graf said...

A red mixer--my dream! I know they come in every color, but there is something about red.

Andrea said...

Okay "The Maiden Voyage"? So brilliant!!! I love it :) and holy cow, gorgeous bread. You are too amazing!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Love the red mixer! So cute. And I know the feeling of loving a quality mixer--Matt and I have a Bosch and it's purely heaven. And I don't even like to cook! Haha.

Katherine said...

That ruby-red Artisan Kitchenaid is a such a gem! It will always remind you of your first NYC Valentine's Day too!

How wild that the mixer experienced a pretty significant flour-blizzard during its "maiden voyage"-- great blog post title! (Loved your positive attitude about that incident.)

Allison Box said...

You've inspired me to make these at home. I love po' boys, but never thought to make them at home myself. Also, in response to your comment about my happiness post a while ago, I was also inspired by your theme for the year. I am also trying to focus on happiness and so thanks for the inspiration! Oh, and one more thing--I did the same thing with my mixer--jumped up and down when I first used it and also didn't lock my dough hook the first time I used it.

Mills Family said...

Oh, can I just say... YUM!

Bryan, Taylor and Aspen said...

Can I just say delicious!! Your kitchen aid is so great. I just love the color. I inherited an old one from my aunt when I was in college. It still works perfectly! Gotta love those things.