Wednesday, July 8, 2009

angie's first day


Today was my first day at the orthodontic office. It was overwhelming and exciting and exhausting and frustrating and fun all at the same time. I knew working at a new office would be different from working at my dad's, but I had no idea just how different it could be. Just like pretty much everything else I've encountered in New York, they do things completely differently than what I was used to in Utah. I am so lost there, I swear you would never know I've been doing this for four years and have pretty much mastered everything at another office.

But, having said that, it really wasn't bad. I still possess the basic knowledge and skills to do the job. So while I've got a ton to learn about their software, policies, procedures, instruments, materials and employees, I've still got all the basic principles down and I'm sure I'll pick up the details quickly enough. And though some of the girls were totally unfriendly and no help at all, a lot of them were so nice, friendly and willing to teach me things.

And now a little note for all you lovely SmilePerfect girls.

I just have to let you know, you have the best job ever!!! Holy cow, you do not even know how good you have it. That job is amazing. I always loved it, but I didn't fully appreciate it until I had something to compare it to. And the thing is, the office I started at today is seriously the most successful, largest practice in Manhattan, and is supposed to be known for a really positive experience and good customer service. They are great, don't get me wrong, but honestly, they don't even compare.

At SmilePerfect, there is such a great feeling and everyone works together so well, gets along and is so friendly and nice. That is a huge blessing. Having staff huddle every morning, all the free lunches and treats brought in, and staff meetings and play days and showers and parties together, the way we welcome and integrate new employees into the team and train them, how we emphasize being a team and working together and helping each other out all the time, everyone getting along and actually being friends outside of work... all of that is so incredibly unique.

And the way we treat the patients, how we emphasize customer service and being friendly and going the extra mile, all our contests and the warm chocolate chip cookies, the x-box and gameboys, the drink fridge, movie tickets, singing at debonding... the list goes on and on. I didn't realize how unique our office was until now.

If you took the SmilePerfect practice and plopped it down in the middle of Manhattan, people wouldn't know what to do with themselves they'd be so blown away. Honestly, people would be absolutely floored. It is amazing. I'm not advertising SmilePerfect, I'm just reflecting on observations and realizing how amazing it is. I didn't even realize it till I saw something different.

Anyway, love your job and be grateful because it's the best!! I miss it and I miss all of you! (Employees past and present!) You girls are the best. After all the time and experiences we've shared and after helping each other in working for a common goal, you are some of my closest friends. I just wanted to thank all of you for touching my life for good and for being part of the SmilePerfect team. I learned things from the experience of being part of that team that will stick with me and help me be successful for the rest of my life.

9 comments:

Mills Family said...

Ang, I'm not even part of the smile perfect team...but I find tears streaming down my checks and I'm madly filling out a resume to be a member as you read this....jk...but seriously, I actually DO know how amazing that job is there are smile perfect (not quite as good as you know because you actually worked there) but I have worked in the dental field as a team member for a dentist office for 6 years and so I had a general idea..and our team and office (as good as it was) didn't EVEN COME CLOSE TO COMPARING to the smileperfect office team. I have heard many many things about Bri's office and I KNOW it's a huge blessing for the staff to work there and it's most definately completely UNIQUE. Your mom and dad....the kind of people they are...are what makes smileperfect so amazing and unique. And it DOES help that the staff are all amazing people too! We love taking Jayme in there for her appointments. Ang, you will be such a positive influence at your new job. I can't wait to hear your experiences there! Keep us posted! Love ya, Lis

Lindsay said...

WHOO HOOO! So exciting! I hate starting new jobs. It is the worst, but at least you have a good attitude. I always think it is never going to get better, then sure enough each day is better than the last! CONGRATS!

Ryan and Donna said...

I knew you guys were close at SmilePerfect...but I didn't realize you Showered Together. WOW! Talk about close friends.

I'm sure some of the girls at the office in New York are just jealous of the new tall, blonde girl from out West. I know how it is back there...I watched how they treated Whitney on "The City" on MTV! Congrats getting a job. It will get better with time. By the way, We LOVE LOST! Ben is too creepy!

Calee said...

Oh Ang, we do work with some great people! You don't even know how much you appreciate some things until they're gone. Lindsay is right though, starting a new job is so hard but gets a tiny bit better each time you go (I remember I was scared sick starting work with your dad!) and it will feel like home soon just like your swanky painted appartment:).

Harries Family said...

I would have to say that working at Smile Perfect was the best job I ever had because of the fiends I made. We truly had a great bunch of girls working there. Its so great that I still remain friends with almost everyone I worked with. I miss everyone so much! Hang in there.

allie kowallis said...

I'm sure you will ge tthat hang of everything really quick! I miss working with you dad and all of the wonderful girls at Smileperfect. I loved that job!!!! Miss you and good luck!

kaylie jean. said...

maaaan, seriously! represent!

Lindsay Henderson said...

Oh my Mangie, I miss you:) and miss working with everyone. We had a heck of a good time didn't we?That's all I can currently write because it makes me all choked up so, I'm leaving your page, ha ha. Love you and good luck! Xo

Gaskin Girl said...

Congrats on your first day/week of work! How fun! You know, I always wanted to work at an orthodontist office, but never got the chance. (After having braces for 4+ years I knew the lingo pretty well! :P) So cool! I'm excited for you! And I know I've said it before, but I just LOVE the pictures you take. (And so does James. He doesn't really look at anyone's blog except yours b/c he just loves seeing your pictures.)