Saturday, July 25, 2009

klane's first ny scout campout



Highlights:

~ Klane teaches scouts how to cook a perfect hot dog over ideal cooking coals. Scouts decide it's taking too long and cook their dogs over the camp stove instead.

~ Klane teaches scouts how to toast a perfect marshmallow over above-mentioned coals. Scouts become impatient and burn marshmallows. However, a few catch on and produce perfect lightly toasted mallows.

~ The group walks near the lake, and the leaders point out constellations. Some of the scouts don't know what stars are (aside from 'tiny lights in the sky') and leaders explain they're actually giant balls of gas burning billions of miles away, to much awe and amazement.

~ A discussion ensues while looking up at the heavens. Topics include God, the universe, the priesthood... and aliens.

~ Klane gets minimal amount of sleep while making sure scouts stay in their tents and out of trouble.

~ Klane announces he'll be fixing Egg McMuffins for breakfast and asks how they like their fried eggs cooked. Scouts have no idea what an Egg McMuffin is, and don't know what he means by asking how they like their eggs. He attempts to explain, they say 'we don't care, just cook them.' The first scout is served an egg over easy and proclaims that his egg isn't cooked because the yellow part is all runny. (?)

~ The scouts discuss music with their leaders. Klane impresses them by revealing that he loves Kanye and the occasional Tupac.



I asked Klane for more details, but he passed out on the bed before I got much more out of him. He's now been snoring for about 90 minutes. I do know he had a lot of fun, and that they also got to go swimming. I'm sure he's going to have a blast with this calling!

6 comments:

k. said...

I need to know more about the actual camp. Because I'm going to girls camp (gulp) and I'm pretty sure it's at the same (Liahona?) camp. Yikes.

Dayna said...

this is too funny!! it had me laughing right out loud.

Lindsay said...

this is very very very funny! For so many reasons.

Marci + Dan said...

I know Dan had a great time too and that he is so grateful to have Klane as an assistant. You and I need to get together next time they're away!

Ryan and Donna said...

This really reminds me of my mission. I served just 30 miles to the North East of the City. Brings back lots of memories. The missionaries really appreciate good members taking care of their converts. Klane is doing a great job.

Mitzi said...

Your Mom was telling me to check this out when we had staff play day :) What an experience you guys are having!!!
You need to be a professional photo. gal, you are sooo good.