Sunday, July 19, 2009

dinner and harry potter: a saturday date

After running past Dinosaur Saturday morning, we were both craving some barbecue. We decided to try something close to home, so we went to Dallas BBQ on the Upper West Side. The food was pretty good and the portions were huge. We'd choose Dinosaur over Dallas any day though, because their barbeque is better and they have a variety of yummy sides that come with the meal. However, Dallas satisfied our craving and that is all we ask.



After dinner Klane suggested we go for a walk. That's just what I was thinking! But instead of heading east into the park, he lead me west to wander through the avenues of the UWS. I think it's such a nice area.


When we got to Broadway he lead me toward the subway station. He said he had a surprise. (Did I mention I love surprises?) We ended up at a movie theater to see The Half-Blood Prince! I've really been wanting to see this movie. I love husband. He knows me so well.


{ I have to review the movie, because I absolutely LOVED it. Klane and I agreed that there were scenes where we felt like we were watching something we'd seen before, because they did such a great job of depicting it exactly how we had imagined it in the book. Oh, I loved it. I haven't read the book for a while, but I thought they did a great job of covering the whole story. Sometimes I feel like the Harry Potter movies are a lot of random scenes patched together, or that they add unimportant stuff but leave out essential details. This one was great. A few random scenes and things changed, but not bad. I loved the humor they brought in with all the crushes and drama between the students. These kids are becoming better actors and they had some hilarious scenes. I also loved how the movie was made for the fans. They didn't try to make it accessible to people who are unfamiliar with the story. They didn't waste time explaining basic Harry Potter knowledge or catch the audience up on where they left off with the previous movie. They just jumped in and told the story as if you know all the background. I think it was a great call to do it this way, because re-capping is boring to the people who really want to see this movie: the Harry Potter fans. Plus there was so much material to cover, they couldn't waste any of the 2 1/2 hours on re-cap. I think people who haven't read the books would still be entertained, however, because it isn't too hard to follow and there was a lot of entertainment in the relationships between the students. I loved it. I want to go out and buy all the books and movies. }

5 comments:

Dayna said...

EVERY single person I know who has seen the movie has absolutely loved it. I am itching to see it SO BAD but with this little chicky here it kind of makes it a little more challenging.... may have to bootleg a copy.... :)

Halfords said...

We went and saw it last night too. I loved it! I was glad they added humor too. It made the dark scenes seem farther between.

Anonymous said...

I liked it as well, but I have to be honest-- I am very bummed that there was more laughing than I expected. It is supposed to be the darkest book yet and they did not give the right sense of just how bad things were getting. I wanted it to be dark. But I did love all the humor with the students being in love, very funny.

Whitney Bennett said...

HAHAHA! Yeah you totally need to put a button on your cooking blog for people to grab. I wanted one for yours but you didnt have one so I just made one to look like your "logo". HAHAHA! I love your blog!

Sharla said...

I am so happy your weekend was fun and that cute husband of yours is always full of surprises. Thanks Klane for taking such great care of Angie!