Thursday, July 16, 2009

welcome to our 'hood

Took a walk around Harlem today, so you could see what our neighborhood looks like. I got a little nervous flashing this huge camera around, so a lot of these shots are from the hip. (I don't know what my problem is with that. Someday I won't be so paranoid about people seeing me taking pictures.)



this is where I grocery shop: C-Town Supermarket


and this is how you get your groceries home.
(hey, another white girl! yeah, sistah!)


Right after I took this, the man on the bike stopped and asked me if he could take my picture for me. Uh, no thanks. I'd like to keep my camera.
[Post-edit: I'd like to clarify that I'm not just totally racist... for the record, it was quite obvious that I didn't need a picture taken, and that he wasn't just offering to be nice. And if he had my camera in that little bike-basket, there is no way I could run fast enough to catch him.]


Our good friend MLK Jr. The quote on the wall says
"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."
I pass this on my way to the grocery store.


Harlem hair


On Sunday when we're walking to church, we always hear loud, rockin music coming from inside this First Corinthian Baptist Church. It always sounds like people are having a great time in there :)


store fronts on our street


You see people everywhere dressed in brightly colored, traditional, African-looking clothing.


Older people push around these carts so they don't
have to carry everything around, like groceries.
Also notable: people around here love to gather on the streets and hang out and talk.
(See group of gentlemen on the right.)


there are two things that every Harlem native loves: fried chicken, and president Obama.
Put the two together, and this just might be the most beloved restaurant in the area.
Obama Fried Chicken actually sparked a little controversy with its name.



some cool looking graffiti

11 comments:

Abbie said...

The reason I wanted a huge double stroller - for groceries. I'm excited to see your 'hood. Harlem seems like a cool place to live.

Sydna Graf said...

So fun to see all of your pictures. In high school I took a trip to NYC with a school group. We barely rode on the outskirts of Harlem in the bus. It was way too dangerous to go in. I'm glad to see that's changed.

Lindsay said...

Home Sweet Home.

Mallory said...

Obama fried chicken? Hahahahahahaha.

Did you not want to give your camera to that guy on the bike because he's black?

I'm already mentally planning a rendevous in PA with you/ a trip to NYC for a broadway show. Ah!

Angie said...

Oh my gosh Mal I have to assume you're joking about the black guy. But I am paranoid and now am stressed that people will think I'm horribly racist and so added an edit to the post. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, YES I was totally kidding--just giving you a hard time! Oh Angie, I would never think that about you seriously, but nice edit to the post haha.

Morgan said...

Thanks for the tour! I've never been to Harlem. It looks cool.

And no worries, you didn't sound like a racist. I can definitely relate. I learned pretty quickly that I needed to change my ways and not trust EVERYONE like I always used to do (i.e. Everyone's so nice! No one would ever steal my stuff! Right? Wrong! So wrong.) Once I was in Columbus Circle. Some lady spotted a ring on my finger from, like, a MILE away, came running over to me and asked if she could "see it," as she held out her hand. Umm, heck no! Yeah, that's when I learned. Now I may be a slow learner but at least I didn't need to get anything stolen from me to get that one! I'd consider myself lucky.

Mills Family said...

So, Jay and I were looking through these pics last night and I just had a chance tonight to get back on for a sec again so I wanted to tell you that these pics were a big eye opener to the world around you out there. I was a bit scared for you after seeing these! You are so brave! You are really doibg it ang....you're in the "big world" out there!!!

Amber and Ryan said...

I'm not going to lie, I would be a little afraid to live around those parts. I am sure it is a great adventure for you two! Yeah that guy would of been gone with your camera in a flash.

Sharla said...

I love the neighborhood pics and when you are there for a few days, it seems completely normal, at least for NYC. Very eye opening at first glance though and you are not in Kansas any more that is for sure!

Angie Harding said...

Reading this four years later is making me cringe. I was SO ignorant when I wrote this post. But I'm leaving it up because it reminds me how I've grown and changed.