Thursday, June 18, 2009

cupcake challenge

Last night Klane said that after paying $2.75 at Butter Lane, he felt kind of cheated walking out with one little cupcake.

"But they're so delicious!" I said.

"How many cupcakes could you make for $2.75?" he retorted.

"It doesn't matter, I couldn't make cupcakes this light and fluffy and perfect," I said. He challenged me that I probably could, and reminded me that we would have more of them, and that they would be cheaper. Well, who am I to resist a challenge?! And if the outcome is cupcakes in any form, then why not give it a shot?

Today's agenda: recreate Butter Lane cupcakes. I was excited that it rained today, all the more excuse to stay inside and bake; one of my favorite things (aside from books and surprises, of course.) I decided to make my favorite combination: banana cake with cream cheese frosting. I looked up a lot of recipes online before settling on one that looked close.


Cream cheese frosting. My favorite. I'm happy there was extra.


The result? They were surprisingly close to the one at Butter Lane. And yes, a ton cheaper. They'd make me rethink a trip to the East Village.

Klane's response after the first bite: "I told you!"

Seeing them sitting there just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Check out the recipes on mrshardingcooks.

5 comments:

Abbie said...

I know, right? Fancy cupcakes are expensive. You really have to try the cupcakes from my blog - you will die. DIE.

P.S. We're in the Inwood (I think 1st) ward. Are you in that ward or Harlem 1st?

Emily said...

I know Martha Stewart JUST released a cupcake book. Lots of fun and creative stuff in there!

Sharla said...

I think I may have to make some cupcakes right now, oh but wait, first Mason's wedding and then Justin's farewell. Hey, maybe we could whip up a batch or two for the farewell party. As if we won't be busy enough....I love you and your awesomeness!!!

Lynsie said...

All I can say is YUMMMMM!

Lynsie said...

Oh and I'm going to need that recipe!....Right now.....really...email it to me or post it on Mrs. Harding cooks!!!!!