Saturday, June 6, 2009

friday night in harlem


Amy Ruth's. Famous for their authentic Harlem soul food, and of course, fried chicken and waffles.

Usually they serve the chicken right on top of the waffle, but since Klane ordered it smothered, they had it on a separate plate.
Either that or they thought the white boy couldn't handle it.

I ordered a slightly safer waffle option, which turned out to be really delicious. Bananas, cinnamon and walnuts.

Even after such a filling dinner, I had already determined we had to visit Make My Cake, because every time we pass it on the bus I want to try it out.



The shop is really cute inside, they have flowers and butterflies hanging from the ceiling

We met the owner, Aliyyah, who looks nothing like this caricature of her. She's really thin and very pretty. She struck up a conversation with me and asked me to email her the pictures I was taking. Very nice lady.


We braved the rain and went out for a night on the town in Harlem. These two famous Harlem gems are right around the corner from us. We'd been curious to try chicken and waffles. I was surprised, but it was actually pretty good! You mix the syrup right in there with the fried chicken. Totally different, but it was fun to try. Klane said next time he wouldn't have it smothered, but that he still liked it.

Make My Cake is known for their red velvet, so we picked up a cupcake and headed home. It was our intermission treat for the LOST finale (which was amazing, and sad, and confusing, and I can't wait for the final season). Here's my cupcake analysis, for those who care: the cupcake was good, but after the one from Butter Lane the day before, it just wasn't the same. I just didn't think it was that good. A little dry. But it probably comes down to personal preference. If you're looking for something light and fluffy that melts in your mouth, go to Butter Lane. If you like your cake more dense, thick and rich, Make My Cake is great. It's a different ball game. I think I just prefer the type of cupcake Butter Lane delivers.

2 comments:

Sharla said...

Hi Sis! Just got home and a bit jet lagged, but had to catch up on your posts. When I wake up, I will really soak them all in, but glad you're doing so well. funny you found that conference talk, cause I was reading those talks on our trip and thought of you. I am so proud of you and Klane. You are really doing it!!

Sydna Graf said...

How do you stay so thin with all of that NYC food to try? You should publish a restaurant guide for tourists. I like my cake dense and rich, so someday I will show up at Make My Cake.